Heavy for Caliber 5.56/223 for Yotes?

DoneNOut

Anybody hitting yotes with the 69-77gr 5.56/223 loads? I'm not yet a pelt keeper, but if I can find a place that pays I'll stop using my 300 WM! LOL

I've found that I can't push them fast enough in a 223 to get the terminal performance and find that out to 300 yards the lighter and faster bullets do a much better job of killing.

I personally believe that weight class is better suited to larger case capacity cartridges like 22-250 AI, 22 Creed or even better 243 and 6 Creed to have the benefits it provides.

Steve

I had really inconsistent results with the 69gr SMK on coyote from .223/5.56. From the small sample of dogs hit I had several pencil through and run offs if I didn't hit bone. If I hit bone such as a front shoulder, the dog went nowhere but down.
I to prefer the 55gr Blitz king or Vmax fired from my 223s. I save the 69-77 for my 220 swift with an 8 twist barrel.

I personally like the 204 with right load. 22+250 is ultimate. But I sold mine a long time ago wish I still had it. 204 also legal all year. For dogs around me . I keep everyone I shoot and have tanned. It's the hardest animal to kill in woods where I am. They are smart not like out west I hear I'm in ny

We tried the 69's and 77's in our AR's with 16" & 18" barrels. We couldn't get the performance that we were used to shooting the lighter bullets. We have had good success with the Sierra 55 gr bullets.

The dumbest coyote I ever met was smarter then most domestic dogs I've met . They have to be or there wouldn't be any of them left for us to hunt . In my area they are the most persecuted animal in the world .

I agree with others. I think 224 heavies have their place in long distance, wind-bucking. For me, lighter bullets shoot flatter (out to distances I comfortably shoot) and so it can be a little less critical judging distance. Plus, they are explosive. I've a lot more experience on prairie dogs than yotes, but the principal is similar.

I believe that if one were to study on the history of the 223 rem you might find that it came from the 222 mag and was designed for the U.S. military for use in the then new m16 . It was designed around the 55 gr. bullet with a certain powder . The Army had a large stock pile of a different powder so they wanted to use that but it had a different burn rate and tried to extract the round before it cooled enough to release from the chamber walls causing jambs . So there were changes made chrome lined barrels , chambers , different weight buffers and springs ect . rate of fire was changed to a 3 round burst from full auto . Also the tight tolerances were loosened up . If memory serves me well they started with 1 in12 twist 20 inch barrels . So now we want to have more knock down power for hard to stop targets and start to bring on heaver bullets and faster twist rates for them along with shorter barrels . Hum . For me if I want a heaver bullet then maybe I should look for a different caliber such as the 243 or perhaps the 7.62x39 . that's just me as the 55 gr. bullet seems to be the optimum weight for the small case of the 223 rem . and I don't have to live with what has been issued to me .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.