Heavy Duty tabletop tripod?

Varmint Hunter

I've got a nice carbon tabletop tripod which I use for my 20x60 Razor spotting scope. On a calm day, the scope is nice and steady, and I really like its compactness and light weight. However, when the wind is blowing, the scope is vibrating, and the image is terrible. I'd like to buy a small tabletop tripod that is built tough and can handle a heavy optic in the wind. I ONLY use the tripod on a concrete bench so I'm not interested in tripods that that extend for higher use.

Any suggestions? Links?

Last edited:
I assembled this one real cheap>

IMG_1183.JPG

The tripod is not light weight, steel and has a smooth flat top. It came with a tupper ware type plastic table that was useless. I tossed the plastic top and cut up some 3/4 exterior 5 plywood - nice and rigid. On the bottom I took one of wifey's Martha Stewart Teflon 10 inch fry pan and bolted it to the bottom of the plywood, Teflon side down. I then drilled a 1/2 hole thru the middle of the fry pan, placed a 5/8 bolt thru fry pan & plywood and used washers & big wing nut to adjust friction resistance, Teflon against smooth tripod top. When lowered to sitting height the assembly is quite stable - wide stance for tripod legs.

I can use my 15X56 binocs on sandbags or spotter on shorty tripod. No jiggle provided I don't push on assembly.

I can bolt a Caldwell Lead Sled on top of plywood for rifle use using elevation adjust on lead sled & Teflon fry pan friction for turning. Some 400 yard hits on rodents.

Since this photo I have trimmed plywood for better fit and fastened facia on plywood edges. I spray painted it a nice olive-green color.

Plywood surface is nice at lunch time. Last time it was roasted beef sandwiches, cold watermelon, and Constant Comment Iced Tea.

Last edited:

View attachment 468631

The tripod is not light weight, steel and has a smooth flat top. It came with a tupper ware type plastic table that was useless. I tossed the plastic top and cut up some 3/4 exterior 5 plywood - nice and rigid. On the bottom I took one of wifey's Martha Stewart Teflon 10 inch fry pan and bolted it to the bottom of the plywood, Teflon side down. I then drilled a 7/8 hole thru the middle of the fry pan, placed a 5/8 bolt thru fry pan & plywood and used washers & big wing nut to adjust friction resistance, Teflon against smooth tripod top. When lowered to sitting height the assembly is quite stable - wide stance for tripod legs.

I can use my 15X56 binocs on sandbags or spotter on shorty tripod. No jiggle provided I don't push on assembly.

I can bolt a Caldwell Lead Sled on top of plywood for rifle use using elevation adjust on lead sled & Teflon fry pan friction for turning. Some 400 yard hits on rodents.

Since this photo I have trimmed plywood for better fit and fastened facia on plywood edges. I spray painted it a nice olive-green color.

Plywood surface is nice at lunch time. Last time it was roasted beef sandwiches, cold watermelon, and Constant Comment Iced Tea.

While I appreciate your input, I think you missed my point. I'm looking for a tabletop tripod to hold a heavy spotting scope.

View attachment 468631

The tripod is not light weight, steel and has a smooth flat top. It came with a tupper ware type plastic table that was useless. I tossed the plastic top and cut up some 3/4 exterior 5 plywood - nice and rigid. On the bottom I took one of wifey's Martha Stewart Teflon 10 inch fry pan and bolted it to the bottom of the plywood, Teflon side down. I then drilled a 7/8 hole thru the middle of the fry pan, placed a 5/8 bolt thru fry pan & plywood and used washers & big wing nut to adjust friction resistance, Teflon against smooth tripod top. When lowered to sitting height the assembly is quite stable - wide stance for tripod legs.

Like to see a few more pics of you eating or using it for a lunch time table and pics from under the pan area, I built one similar using my contractors type tripod for a auto laser, it has a flat top , only have to bolt my unit to the tripod and ready to go, very very stable.

I've got a nice carbon tabletop tripod which I use for my 20x60 Razor spotting scope. On a calm day, the scope is nice and steady, and I really like its compactness and light weight. However, when the wind is blowing, the scope is vibrating, and the image is terrible. I'd like to buy a small tabletop tripod that is built tough and can handle a heavy optic in the wind. I ONLY use the tripod on a concrete bench so I'm not interested in tripods that that extend for higher use.

Any suggestions? Links?
Try this. The legs can be unlocked just like a large CF tripod and can get wider than the pics show. It's a very sturdy tripod for its size. No "flex" really in the system. Hope it helps

Last edited:
I replied earlier, one Q, someone told me you can't shoot out of a led sled, supposedly a well know gun builder. But what he builds I'm not impressed with as far a long range shooting. I would like to know since I have the same sled and 2 other gun rest like a Rodzilla , I want to know how the gun knows if the gun in a sled or your shoulder, I've never had a issue with using one. Maybe because his custom built 300 PRC wouldn't group under 8" at 100 yds.

I use a Leofoto LS-223C Mini with a precision rifle solutions ssp saddle on top. My PRS rifle is not light and that thing takes a beating and never fails. Highly recommend. It has ARCA and will hold my rifle if need be. I use it instead of a bipod because its good practice. Bipod is not always available in a shooting situation. Also I can mount my TerrapinX on it and set it next to me while shooting. Its just a very very versatile little tripod that I can toss in my pack.

Last edited:
How thick is the bench?

I have this and it's solid

They also make the 3/4" version

Last edited:
I've been using Benro tripods (tortoise carbon) for glassing and shooting off of. They've been great.......fairly light and very steady. This table top one may fit your needs.

Randy

Amazon product ASIN B08F2RGB5P
Here's what I use on concrete range tables. I was going to buy Creedmore's or even fab my own, until I saw this used at my Range. It's fantastic! I used table top tripods prior which are not even close to being stable.
IMG_7529.png

While I appreciate your input, I think you missed my point. I'm looking for a tabletop tripod to hold a heavy spotting scope.
I got a real cheap Barska tripod from Walmart for about $18 that works real good with my 20-60X80 mm spotter with my cheapo assemblage. I would like to use a hugely stable concrete & steel bench while shooting rodents but benches like that weigh about 300 - 400 pounds, but I would need a forklift to get it aboard & off my vehicle. A clamp on spotter stand would be a big improvement.

I replied earlier, one Q, someone told me you can't shoot out of a led sled, supposedly a well know gun builder. But what he builds I'm not impressed with as far a long range shooting. I would like to know since I have the same sled and 2 other gun rest like a Rodzilla , I want to know how the gun knows if the gun in a sled or your shoulder, I've never had a issue with using one. Maybe because his custom built 300 PRC wouldn't group under 8" at 100 yds.

A lead sled loaded down with 25-pound or more bar-bell weight(s) on top of a massive concrete bench would provide stability and recoil absorption but would not be kind to nice wood stocks and scopes because the mass of lead sled & barbell would make for lots of inertia to resist recoil impulse generated by big guns like a .300 PR and the stock and scope (tiny little parts for erector tube) would be subjected to almost all recoil impulse vs. the shooters body that would provide a dynamic resistance to recoil impulse. No problems with my little .22-.250.

The lead sled provides more stability than any clamp on tripod connection at a single point assisted by balance location. Attachment using an underside rail connection or other would be a big improvement, but with single point attachment, rifle balance would be a big factor for stability.

Like to see a few more pics of you eating or using it for a lunch time table and pics from under the pan area, I built one similar using my contractors type tripod for a auto laser, it has a flat top , only have to bolt my unit to the tripod and ready to go, very very stable.
Imagine - a nice tender, cool, medium rare roasted beef sandwich with lettuce, tomato & 1000 Island served on a checkered tablecloth with a tall frosty glass of iced tea complete with a folded napkin having correctly placed silver (eating utensils like forks).

A photo would show how the Teflon fry pan works much better than a description.

A clamp on spotter stand sounds like a good idea. I think I will make one with a budget limit of $50 & avoid the 'out of stock" situation.

Last edited:

Recent Posts