Heavy Barrel Savage B-mag Accuracy

Irishgun

• I had a Savage B-mag with the sporter barrel and could not make it group at all. I put a Boyds Tacticool stock on it and free floated the barrel and it still would not group at all.(12 inch groups at 100yds with Winchester 20 grain ammo)
  • I gave it to my brother and was able to find a Savage Stainless Heavy Barrel BMag. This grouped a little better ( 6 inch groups at 100 yds Winchester 20 grain ammo) BSA Platinum 8-32x44 Mil dot scope
    • I added a Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole stock, Limb saver x-ring barrel de resonator, adjusted the accutrigger to a little less than 3 lbs)
    • holy smokes what a difference that made. Winchester 20 grain ammo was still erratic but huge improvement (2 inch groups)
    • I tried American Eagle 20 grain ammo and I could almost cover the groups with a quarter. ( 1 inch groups at 100 yards)
    • I am hoping that when Hornady Ammo becomes available it will group like my Marlin 917V 17 HMR (1/2" groups at 100 yards)

I was finally able to post an image.

Attachments

• 17 WSM.jpg
    17 WSM.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 419
New to the forum. Recently purchased Savage BMAG. Had the typical problem with flyers using Winchester 20 grains.
Purchased Boyd Thumbhole stock. After minor sanding to free float had perfect fit. What an improvement over plastic stock! Also, switched over to new American Eagle 20 grain. Tightened up groups to 1.5" at 100 yds, with no flyers. With new ammo and stock options there is hope for BMAG owners after all!

BTW, how do you post images? The tutorial link did not work.

New to the forum. Recently purchased Savage BMAG. Had the typical problem with flyers using Winchester 20 grains.
Purchased Boyd Thumbhole stock. After minor sanding to free float had perfect fit. What an improvement over plastic stock! Also, switched over to new American Eagle 20 grain. Tightened up groups to 1.5" at 100 yds, with no flyers. With new ammo and stock options there is hope for BMAG owners after all!

BTW, how do you post images? The tutorial link did not work.

I can't wait for the Hornady Ammo to hit the shelves.

1. click on post reply
  2. then click on the paper clip for attachments
  3. You should be able to figure it out from there
It took me a little while to figure it out also

My B-mag story. Bought standard one last year, and head space was off. Kept splitting cases and I sent it back. Upgraded to the bull barrel, mounted a cheap Vortex 6x18, and with Winchester $16.99 ammo it wouldn't group. Now, this was a rifle that grouped .75 in for the Savage engineers.
Skip to this year. I got some Federal American Eagle ($14.74 Walmart) and Hornady ammo. My last time out for PD's, from 150-200 yds, I got 15 out of 16 hits, and actually killed 16 as I got a double. It knocks them back, and leaves a vapor trail of guts. After a couple of mags, the they get wise out to 250 yards, and the hits are less often. It may also be a fouling problem. It isn't as loud as I thought it would be, and shooting over the hood probably helps direct the sound upward. Compared to my .223 Wylde 20" Wilson barreled AR, I get to shoot and kill many more on each outing because of the WSM's lower sound level. Bottom line: Love it, and nobody can have it!

I have the sporter and the accuracy is acceptable at 100 yrds. 3" groups. I believe that it is a ammo problem we chronoed a bunch of Winchester 20 and 25 grain (I did not even bother to keep the results they where all over the place). So far the Winchester stuff is all I can get. I cant wait to try other brands
All in all though for a rimfire I am quite happy with it. I have got close up shots at rabbit (less than 20 yrds) and crows in the field between 50 and 150 yrds so far I have only missed 1 crow and that was a long shot (back of the field 150 yrds)
But I have to admit my displeasure with the plastic stock. As soon as the Canadian buck gets out of the toilet I will get a Boyds stock

I want to order Heavy Barrel Savage B-mag. From where did I order it? I mean I will have to personally visit the shop or I can order it via mail or phone?
I have visited the site and decided to buy this.

Don't have a BMag, but I do have a 17WSM. Love it ! I first shot it at PDs in S.D. and was hooked ! Now mine has a suppressor on it and that is saweet !! This cartridge is kinda like the .22 mag; it shoots and hits way better than it looks like it ought to. Frikkin amazin....

I want to order Heavy Barrel Savage B-mag. From where did I order it? I mean I will have to personally visit the shop or I can order it via mail or phone?
I have visited the site and decided to buy this.

Don't know where you live Mike, but Sportsman's Den in Ohio has stainless HB/laminated stock Savages. You might Google their number and see if they'll ship to a nearby FFL holder.

From what I've read, all B-Mags built after July have a 1:8 twist. Before that it was 1:9. This should help stabilize the 25 gr ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.