heavy .223 bullets in 1-12 twist

4given

I have a Remington 700, laminated thumbhole stock, stainless fluted bull barrel with a 1-12 twist. Scope is a Nikon Monarch 6X24. I am getting 1/4" groups with 50 gr v-max in front of 20.0 gr of h-4831. This will be nice for long range ground squirrels :D but I would like to try some heavier bullets to shoot out to 500 yrds or beyond at 'yotes or whatever.

I know the 1-12 twist is not ideal for heavier bullets. Anybody shooting 60gr+ in this slow a twist? AM I constrained to 55gr max? any ideas I could try?

Thanks!

Agreed, I have a 1 in 12 and all the 62 grainers I have tried stabilized fine and even black hills 68 grainers. I expect they where pushing it but they worked great.

I have a .22-250 AI w/1 in 12 twist. It'll shoot 60 grainers but nothing heavier, and my velocities are much higher than your .223 can think about (more RPM). Just goes to show, it all depends on the barrel.

I have a Remington 700, laminated thumbhole stock, stainless fluted bull barrel with a 1-12 twist. Scope is a Nikon Monarch 6X24. I am getting 1/4" groups with 50 gr v-max in front of 20.0 gr of h-4831. This will be nice for long range ground squirrels :D but I would like to try some heavier bullets to shoot out to 500 yrds or beyond at 'yotes or whatever.

I know the 1-12 twist is not ideal for heavier bullets. Anybody shooting 60gr+ in this slow a twist? AM I constrained to 55gr max? any ideas I could try?

Thanks!

OOPS! I ment H4198:rolleyes: SORRY!

I think that at 500+ yds a 69gr hpbt is about as light a bullet as I have had consistency with wind and all. 600 yds the 77gr and heavier. A 1:12 in my experience really performs well in the lighter weight bullet . If you really want to get the edge under control think about a 1:7 if you need to shoot the heavier bullet if you want to get into the 105's a 1:6.5

Its a lot easier going to a lighter bullet with a fast twist barrel than a heavier bullet with a slow twist and you may powder a lighter bullet if you really crank it but I never saw but a few do it.

guess I'll try some 60 grainers and maybe some 68's and see how it goes. I think if I want to shoot 105 grain bullets i'll stick to my .243 :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.