Hearing protection

Deep pockets? Fixed income? If you don't want to have comfortable high quality hearing protection that is your personal decision to make. What are deep pockets? Are not most folks on a fixed income? I have worked productivity based income my whole life, fixed income would have been nice. But then again, now that I am retired, I guess I could not have ac, a nice truck, good hearing protection, a nice rifle or scope? Do not be silly! They are your priorities, I was trying to help you, trying to insult me makes me laugh.

Deep pockets? Fixed income? If you don't want to have comfortable high quality hearing protection that is your personal decision to make. What are deep pockets? Are not most folks on a fixed income? I have worked productivity based income my whole life, fixed income would have been nice. But then again, now that I am retired, I guess I could not have ac, a nice truck, good hearing protection, a nice rifle or scope? Do not be silly! They are your priorities, I was trying to help you, trying to insult me makes me laugh.
I thank you for your help, I do not try to insult anyone, I try to make my point and that is all. You don't know my finances and if I say I can't afford it, I can't. You are the one insulting, calling me silly , use my hsa . I don't sweet little things. Again thank you

I use custom earplugs when hunting, they're quick to put in and you can pull one out enough to hear someone next to you. Small enough to be in my pocket or side of my bino harness. I've had them for close to 10 years and they still fit without discomfort.

When I'm at the rifle range, I shoot with a pair of muffs and the custom earplugs. I got the customs as a shotgun shooter and they're even better for that, just not enough for braked magnum rifles at the range

Howard Leight impact sport electronic shooting earmuffs. I worked on high speed large HP electric motors for 40 years. I wore hearing protection religiously but it still took a toll on my hearing. These earmuffs have built-in sound enhancement with noise limiter. I shoot a brake on my 6.5 PRC and can comfortably wear them without limiting what I need to hear and not worry about damage when I shoot.

Come on, there's no need to shame someone for saying they can't afford $1000 for something that you can get for $100. Will it be as nice, probably not, will it be streamlined, probably not, can it offer the same db protection, definitely a YES. You do you, let others do them.

I've been looking at the AXIL, does anyone have experience with these ?
Yes. I have them. They work great for picking up sound and canceling, except the foam plugs do not stay in position at least for me. I've had occasions where I may as well not be wearing them. I haven't called them to complain but that is next.

Yes. I have them. They work great for picking up sound and canceling, except the foam plugs do not stay in position at least for me. I've had occasions where I may as well not be wearing them. I haven't called them to complain but that is next.
I've had that happen with the Decibullz. They have the custom molding, but I just can't get it to fit right. Apparently I can't follow directions. Do you have the Axil with the lanyard? Are they feasible to hunt with or you better off just getting the orange plugs that are shaped like a halo?

I have had mine for nearly three years now without any issues.

Axil 1 of 2.jpg
Axil 2 of 2.jpg

I have the same AXIL as FEENIX also. But I'm like Bob as the fitting of the foam isn't always great for me. But I have got them to fit well and when they seal well then they work well. The problem is getting them to fit well. I'm still messing with them but honestly I rely more on foan ear plugs and electronic ear muffs. BTW on the issue of cost foam earplugs and Caldwell electronic ear muffs are very cost effective. I put in the foam ear plugs and wear the muffs with the volume all the way up. I get the hearing protection and can still hear things around me at the range.

I tried switching around the foam plugs again this morning and went back to the largest foam plugs. I squeeze/ roll them like regular foam plugs and voila, they work great! When I first got them I had the same issues as you Bob. I think after a month of two getting used to the angle of inserting the plugs in the ear canal and rolling the foam made the difference.

Last edited:
Tried many different muffs. These have the highest sound dampening while also amplifying sound x4. You can actually hear much better with them on than off. Relatively comfortable for extended wear. At the range, I turn them off, and if real loud, add silicone ear plugs underneath.

Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff (R-01902)

4.5 4.5 out of 5 stars 3,990 ratings $120 on Amazon.com 170 bucks in Canada

black

$170.12

• HIGH NOISE REDUCTION RATING (30 NRR): Designed for handgun and pistol shooters looking for high NRR; perfect for indoor ranges, covered ranges or other extremely loud shooting environments
  • AMPLIFIES AMBIENT NOISE UP TO 4X: Built-in directional microphones amplify range commands and other ambient sounds to a safe 82 dB, providing more natural listening and enhanced communication
  • BLOCKS HAZARDOUS NOISE: Actively listens and automatically shuts off amplification when ambient sound reaches 82 dB; passively blocks out noise at 30 dB
  • COMFORTABLE, SECURE FIT: Rubberized pressure points prevent gunstock scratching; super deluxe padded headband features telescopic height adjustment for a secure and comfortable fit
  • INCLUDES: 3.5mm connection cord for MP3 players and scanners; includes 2 AAA batteries; automatic shut-off feature engages after 4 hours to help save battery life; approx. 350 hours battery life