Hearing protection

mudman02

Good morning everyone, I am going to start wearing hearing protection while hunting, I want to be able to hear a cat walking on cotton, but don’t want to hurt what’s left of my hearing . What do you’ll use ? Thank you, love this sight

338 dude

LRH Team Member
I use the walker game ear camouflage quad muffs for hunting but when at the range firing many rounds I double up and use foam earplugs under the walkers

ducky

Good morning everyone, I am going to start wearing hearing protection while hunting, I want to be able to hear a cat walking on cotton, but don’t want to hurt what’s left of my hearing . What do you’ll use ? Thank you, love this sight

Omega 300 and probably will buy another, I also have gone down in cartridge size and I enjoy all aspects of shooting more.

Quintus

I have kept muffs on my head and slid them down to shoot since the 90s. I do use Walkers if I am still hunting or thinks I may get into a situation where I can't risk the extra movement. I shoot several braked rifles, and I only forgot to slide the muffs on once. Once.

LuvDog

Custom molded plugs are probably the best, but I really like all of my Pro Ears Gold for noise cancellation and sound amplification.

That being said, I wear my MSA Sordins at the range more than any other set, just because the build quality is nice and additional/optional gel cups make them comfortable. The noise cancellation is just as good as the Pro Ears Gold, but when I turn up the volume for amplification, I get more hiss than with the Pro Ears Gold

2ndson

I have been using E.A.R inc custom molded plugs for years. Comfortable and you can still hold a conversation with people. I use them all year (operating equipment, chainsaw, and shooting). My only regret is not wearing hearing protection when I was younger.

Roger_Roger

Like 2ndson said "My only regret is not wearing hearing protection when I was younger."
You don't know what you've got until you loose it. Tinnitus from one last shot that was left in a box of 44 mag after i remove ear protection, over 40 yrs ago. Hearing loss form aging and not using hearing protection while hunting and other loud sports and work environment. I now have Signia hearing aids that also produce white noise to help with the tinnitus, ocean waves. Two years ago, Diplacusis, a form of hearing loss that causes our ears to hear sounds so differently it creates a disturbing two-sound experience, music is not the same. I use HP, along with safety glasses, all the time now, tractor, lawnmower, shooting even riding my 4x4.

mudman02

I have been using E.A.R inc custom molded plugs for years. Comfortable and you can still hold a conversation with people. I use them all year (operating equipment, chainsaw, and shooting). My only regret is not wearing hearing protection when I was younger.
I can relate, at a young 61 year old, my hearing is all but shot. The VA got me hearing aids, which is good, but not for hunting, I use muffs without the hearing aids when shooting. In the woods a herd of deer, a passel of squirrels and a family of coons could come past me and I would never hear them lol

SDPlinker

LRH Team Member
Love my Sound Gear molded plugs. Only negative is small control button and battery, the nature of the beast though.

mudman02

mike06

Look up the Peltor brand they have ones with a behind the neck band. I use them hunting and benchrest shooting. They also have mics and noise canceling.

Recent Posts