Hearing protection

The standard foam plugs in my drawer claim 33 dB reduction. They're not convenient but when I see the figures for most muffs (low to mid twenties), it makes me reach for the foam plugs. Of course, with the braked 338 LM, I use both.

I double up with plugs and electronic muffs. Crank the volume on the muffs, and you can still have a conversation with double protection. Love the electronics hunting as well.

Looking for some opinions on hearing protection. I recently had my hearing tested and have lost a considerable amount in my left ear. I've mainly just used ear plugs while shooting but I think I need to look into something better. It seems like the electronic ones may be the way to go but I have no idea what I'm looking for.
Many of the shooting ranges don't let the foam ear plugs because people don't install correctly in the Minneapolis area. I use custom molded ear plugs and really like them

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.