Hearing Protection: Those I have used

augustinaustin

I shoot between 13,000-15,000 shotshells annually in sporting clays with a ported gun and now really getting into the big rifles with muzzle brakes. I have tried and own the following:

PRO-EARS Electronic LE's: fantastic for clays as they allow you to hear a trap release and do a pretty good job of dampening. Their customer support on one warranty issue was great. They are not suitable in my opinion for rifle work. They offer 50db of adjustable gain for wearing while hunting or at the range and claim to dampen anything above 70db. I just don't find them to be able to dampen more than about 20db (my guestimate) when exposed to a really loud rifle.

Peltor Ultimate 10: What a value!!! I paid a whopping $19.00 for these and they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever used. They offer 30db of noise reduction and that is something you really notice with the big rifles. Highly recommend. These things are big but somehow they do not seem to interfere with the comb.
I have used similar smaller ones from Dillon and Silencio and they do not even come CLOSE!! I'm ordering another pair for my wood shop and giving the others away.

Custom Molded Plugs: Great for use in the hot summers (this is TX). Great noise dampening when really put in properly. Downside is having to clean them after every use and over a period of 2-3 yrs they harden. Still not quite enough for big rifles but great for clays.

August

August,

Thanks for the info...I don't want to sabatoge your thread but have you, or anyone else, tried the Walkers Game Ear?

I would like to try something like this for hunting.

Jim

no sabotage taken at all. I would like to know about the Walkers as well. If they would enable a user to bird hunt comfortably in the field.... why thats another accessory to save my pennies for.

Using these Peltors has been an absolute awakening to me in finding a level of protection that I had not experienced with any other protection I have tried with rifles. It has made me realize (a little late perhaps)that when shooting my rifle (30" Ultra w/muzzle brake under a steel roof) I have been damaging my hearing with conventional and electronic devices alike even when combined. AND for $19!!!

August,

I shoot at a place that is 1/2 way between you and me (if you live in Austin). It out in New Braunfels, the Siluetta Club (near Howard Dietz place). The range only extends out to 500 meters, let me know if you are interested in going sometime. Also, just bought an o/u shotgun and plan on doing some clay target shooting, at my ranchette we play "stick bird" during mid day between deer hunts, makes the time go by. I kinda suck at it right now, but getting better with time and practice.

Jim

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]

Hell YES I would like to go. I did not know a long range existed in Central TX!!!! I shoot at Austin Rifle Club. A great range but only 200 yds. I go to a range that I made in S. TX but it is a haul. I am in town until Sunday if you are going soon. Otherwise you just tell me as i would love to go. Anytime you want to shoot skeet,trap or sporting I would be happy to have you as my guest at CCT&S. I shoot clays most every Sunday and Weds.

In the process of investigating electronic ear muffs, and would love any feedback.

Use will be during bird hunting where I need to hear the surroundings as well as getting some noise protection.

I have peltor #7 and #6 available in my area. They seem to have the lowest Db cutoff of 82Db. Others have 84 or 82Db cutoff. Does anyone know if these ratings are accurate? How would this compare to normal earmuffs with rating of 30Db?

How well do these turn on and off? Do they really amplify normal sound levels? Any info would be appreciated.

I have been using the Howard Leight leightning with a 31db rating. Works very well and I even use ear plugs when shooting my muzzle braked 300Wby.

For what it costs nowadays, can we afford not to use hearing protection?

Jerry

Jerry, as far as the two sets of Pro-Ears electronics I have owned I cannot tell you what db drop they are capable of. They claim to keep sound at or below 70db. At some point obviously they cannot. I think they work great for most hunting situations and 'regular' firearms. I have used them twice weekly for sporting clays since 99. Big bores with muzzle brakes, they do not cut it and I would be amazed if any of the electronics can based soley on there size being smaller. Do they amplify? You bet. That is a really great feature. You can hear a trap release or hear the familiar flap of a doves wings. They offer 50db of gain. Brownells 'smith price is the best I have found.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.