Hearing Protection - Non Hunting Scenerio

bdpayne2000

So I am curious what everyone uses for hearing protection in non hunting situations. Today I use cheap ear muffs and cutom fit ear plugs. I double up because I use brakes and because my hearing is jacked in one ear from a couple of hunting situations so I am trying to save what I have. I am most interested in finding some better muffs.

Thanks, Brian.

I too double up with plugs and muffs. The muffs I bought at a hardware store. I think they are from 3M. The nice thing about them is that they are low profile so they don't hit the stock. light and comfortable. I don't think there is a lot of variation in the attenuation you get from either assuming they are not complete garbage.

I double up with the foam ear plugs you get at your LHS and some $15 Howard Leight L3's I got off of Amazon. I'm sure the electronic muffs are nice but to I never saw the point in spending that much when I could spend a fraction of it and get the same protection.

I shoot with Sport Ear (stryker's) I believe they're called ??? $500 & really work great. Used them all last season waterfowling, plus have been shooting them through winter even with my braked rifles.. really happy with them

Tried a couple other versions before-hand. These Strykers are the way to go.

Decided $500 is peanuts compared to the value of my hearing.. had a scare about two years back (when I used muffs alone & various cheap foams) Left ear started an unusual humm! Since then, ordered a couple sets of sport-ear, picked the ones that worked/fit best and won't ever go back. Highly reccommend Sport Ear*

The fact you're actually able to "still-hear" the guys with you and your surroundings beats hollering at each other spotting/calling shots & such.. nevermind in the duck blind! Priceless for waterfowling.

At the Range I have a couple of different types of electronic muffs that work very well.

Hunting, generally just a set of custom earl plugs.

A reminder that this becomes even more critical at high altitude especially if you haven't made it a point to pop your ears several times to equalize the pressure.

I double up with foamies and Peltor electronic muffs. I started doing that when a hearing test showed I was loosing some mid-range frequencies. The only good news is that those are the frequencies of my wife's voice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.