Hearing Protection for Kids

geo4061

I have a couple of grand kids coming a long. What would you suggest for hearing protection they will wear, not intrude with their check weld, and not fall out while hunting. Keeping the price under $100 bucks would be great. Thanks.

Walker Razor Behind The Neck Hearing Protection Ear Buds with sound amplification and compression

Might be able to catch them on sale somewhere for under $100.00??

A suppressor. more expensive but the best choice. I wish I had done it for my kid.

I user the custom molded to my ear type plugs for myself and kid. They are a good choice but you have to get some made every couple years as they grow. They don't get in the way and easy to carry while hunting

I have a suppressor, sub sonic ammo, and a lite reticle on a 10/22. They love it and it is the way to go. We do use a suppressor on larger calibers. I do not believe without using sub ammo they are quite enough to go without hearing protection. I bought the Walker behind the neck hearing protection ear buds when they first came out. Thought this was absolutely the best answer for them and me. I liked everything about the design. The enhanced hearing did not work. They were no better than the foam plugs. There was no way to replace batteries. The retractable ear buds would not retract. Therefore I returned them the first day I used them. Thankful for Cabelas.

Deputy819 do you have a set of the Walkers that you have had for awhile and that work great? Hopefully, I just got a set that had issues. I like the design so well I would give them a second chance with your recommendation.

Honestly, I dont. I have a pair of the ear muffs, but they do interfere with proper cheek-weld somewhat. I ran across your post and noticed there had been no replies so I thought I'd throw that particular design at you. I've been seriously thinking about buying some and trying them out ever since....

My 9 yr old son used plugs and electronic muffs. Don't think it interfered with his cheek weld, or if it did he didn't mention it. He was banging steel out to 500.

Really muffling the sound has two benefits - hearing protection (obviously), and making the recoil and bang less startling. Kids can flinch off recoil or the bang.

My 9 yr old son used plugs and electronic muffs. Don't think it interfered with his cheek weld, or if it did he didn't mention it. He was banging steel out to 500.

Really muffling the sound has two benefits - hearing protection (obviously), and making the recoil and bang less startling. Kids can flinch off recoil or the bang.
Plus one on using plugs and muffs especially electronic. I like the Peltors and Proears but bought an inexpensive Caldwell set. I lost a lot of hearing in the Army due to just plugs. The sound can penetrate behind the ears and cause hearing damage. Muffs can lift up and allow sound in. So now I use both. Plugs in, turn up the volume on the muffs, and enjoy good hearing protection while still hearing plates get hit.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts