Hearing Aids

robdaniels

I am getting older like all of us and know I have had hearing loss over the years. Didn't really know what I was missing until a couple of weeks ago my wife and I were out deer hunting and she was asking me if I heard the deer walk by that we couldn't see.
I had no idea, wow, am I missing that much. Sure I turn the tv up, I have a hard time on the phone with some peoples voices, etc.
So I went and had a hearing test. They told me I needed hearing aids, showed me the test results and even my wife confirmed I couldn't hear some of the stuff in the test that she did.

Anyway, they recommended two hearing aids, one for each ear. I asked couldn't I just use one? They said I would not be able to tell where a sound came from and the side of my brain that didn't have the hearing aid would suffer with the loss while the side that did have one would train itself to use the device. Ok, that makes a little sense to me.

My question is does anyone here use hearing aids? One or two?
Your input on this topic is very important to me considering the cost of these little things (4 to 5 thousand for 2)
Thank you

Been there done that. Didn't know birds chirped that loud. YES - you need hearing aids in both ears, agree with everything you posted except the cost. Been wearing them for about 10 yrs. first pair I paid close to 6K for with a 90 day no questions asked return. After 6 trips back to get them fancy digital SOB adjusted I said give me my money back.

Long story short on hearing aids - they cost the manu facturer very very very little to produce after their R&D is done. One style does not fit all. If you are in an office that's one thing, if you are around equipment that's another, if you're outside a lot with ANY BREEZE OR WIND that's another.

I ended up at 4 different audiologist after that and finally found a place that would listen to what I felt I wanted and needed not what they thought they wanted to sell me.

I used to shoot over 10k rounds of trap a year for many years so my right ear is the worse. I live in power plants and refineries and when I'm not at work I'm outside with either a horse, gun or tractor so my needs may be different than yours.

All I can say is you need to tell them what you do and don't sugar coat it or think you will adapt - because you won't. If there is no garantee or refund if they can't make them work - then move on because once they got your money you're done.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have - this could be a lengthy conversation so send me a pm if you want and I'll give you my phone number.

PS: if you get a good match you'll never regret it - and your wife and family will sure appreciate it as much as you will.

Thank you, that is good advice.
I do plan on going to another audiologist and getting a second opinion. The first place said they had a 45 free trail period before I had to pay for them.
I'll see what the second place has to say, which is the Oregon Health and Science University program. They may give a more honest opinion rather than the retail outlet like the first one is.

I will echo what Cowboy said you need two, example I went bow hunting this morning first time in woods this year my goal today was to kill a good meat doe. I only wore the one for right ear as I shoot bow left handed, and at times when practicing I have flipped the left one out not always but a few times, don't want to do that 25' up a tree. Anyway heard two walking towards my stand thought they were off to my right by the time I figured out they were on my left they were out of range. There went my steaks:D go figure. Something else to consider do you want them to fit in your ear or behind? I have the small in the ear type, works well for me but everyone has there prefrence the reason I choose the style I did was afraid I couldn't keep the others on blasting down the interstate on the Harley:cool: You will be amazed at how much you have been missing. One good thing they elemenated the muffs when shootinggun)Good luck, let us know how your makin out.

Rick

I have had two hearing aids since early summer and the audiologist put me in very small units that fit behind my ears. I told him I wanted water proof models but he didn't have them in stock and said I would like these better, but if I wanted something else I could bring them back. I called about a week or so later and said I couldn't keep batteries in them and I wanted the water proof ones and he said come back in Monday and swap them. I was outside in the equatorial heat we had this summer and was getting soaked with sweat which was knocking the batteries out. Since switching to the H2O model I change batteries every 8 days +/-. I know I will never hear like I did when I was 8 Y.O but I should have invested in these several years ago. Good Luck

Thanks everybody for your input.
Another question. I am very active outdoors so which style will stay on/in better without losing them? I live on the coast in Oregon so of course it rains a LOT. I will need the water proof style too.
Than you

Just to be upfront, I wear hearing aids and have worked in the industry for more than 20 years. I agree with what Cowboy said about 100% and my hat is off to him for a good post.

Since the OP asked and I feel I can contribute to this thread I'll just add some general knowledge about hearing aids.

There are 6 major manufacturers of hearing aids and they make 90% of the hearing aids made no matter the brand name they are sold under so there isn't near as many choices as it first appears.

I regularly try new technologies and have found all the major brands to be about the same in actual sound processing although the features offered can vary from model to model and it is those features that make them work for each individual's sound environments - or not - as Cowboy posted. So evaluate how much noise you are regularly in, how much humidity, etc and find features that are designed for your lifestyle requirements.

All the manufacturers come out with a new generation of technology about once a year, the new and improved models…:D:D They also release each generation in technology levels; top/16 - 20 channels, mid/about 12 channels, and economy/ 8 channels or so. Oh, and they also charge a couple hundred more per aid each level you move up. Be careful here, I don't think I could tell the difference between the mid level and the top level if my life depended on it in average amounts of noise. So again evaluate how much noise you are in and spend accordingly.

There are three ways to buy hearing aids for the most part. The following is a brief description of each:

First is the traditional method of going to a local licensed hearing aid dispenser or dispensing audiologist in a brick and mortar store front. It usually starts with getting your hearing tested, then being sold and fitted with a hearing aid they recommend with an included service package. This is considered to be the most expensive route due to bundling an open ended "free Service" package into the sales price of the hearing aids.

Next is a hybrid method of buying the hearing aids online with a local provider providing a service package. This is usually less expensive due to the service package being limited to what is actually needed instead of paying for service you don't use in the first method.

And last is an online purchase, shipped direct to you ready to wear. In this method you get a hearing test done locally and send in a copy which is then used to program the hearing aids prior to being shipped. This is the least expensive method.

Which way is best? I participate in doing business using all three methods and will say each person considering hearing aids needs to be familiar with each route.

The best advise I can give anyone is to start with getting your hearing tested by a professional ensuring you get a copy of the results which are called your audiogram. With an audiogram you can explore all three methods and see which one fits you.

One point about hearing aids - they cannot attenuate sound so even if you occasionally think of them as ear plugs …:D They ain't.

Jack

Thanks everybody for your input.
Another question. I am very active outdoors so which style will stay on/in better without losing them? I live on the coast in Oregon so of course it rains a LOT. I will need the water proof style too.
Than you

Check out the Siemens Aquaris with the sports lock adapter.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.