Headspace question

Hotrod617

I have my sizing die set at my desired height for most of the time it seems. I'm sizing 6.5 PRC Hornady brass. As long as the fired brass measures 1.633 (base to shoulder) or more prior to sizing it comes out at my desired 1.631. Now the question.. If I measure my fired brass and it's 1.632/1.631(pre-sizing) it comes out below my goal of 1.631. It will be like 1.629-1.630. Could the neck sizing be pushing the shoulder back? This is being loaded for a hunting rifle. Am I just being too anal? I'm using a .290 neck bushing.

Do you use one die or two?
Is your brass stable?
Has it been shot more than 3 times?
Brass is malleable, and will move and spring back at different rates until it is stable, if this means annealing on every firing to be consistent, then that's what needs done.
If it takes 5 firings and no annealing to be stable, then shoot it 5 times and then anneal.
Do you see what I am saying here?
Only YOU can determine if your brass is stable and being sized enough, and NO, the neck sizing is not changing your shoulder dimension.

Cheers.

This is a reason I body size separate from neck sizing.
For me, if the shoulders are already at desired, I don't size the body (just the neck).
MagnumMania is right. Each case has it's character, which is broken into conformity, or not.

What press are you using? This may be an issue with the press itself. I've found that some presses require so much pressure on cam over to be able the size the brass correctly that if a piece of brass happens to be smaller or less springy it will oversize it. I had this problem with some calibers on my Lyman all American 8 press. This issue went away when I switched to a Forester for all my precision resizing.

was using one die.
Brass fired 3x
I see what your saying.
My AMP annealing has not arrived, so not annealing yet. But brass only 3x so hopefully it will arrive soon
I will try separating my sizing processes
I use a Forster Co-Ax at least till my Area 419 Zero arrives..😄
Primers look good

Thanks to all for the replies
Bill

Recent Posts