Headspace issue? 6.5 Japanese

RMorris

So, not a long range rifle...
A war trophy from my grandfather from Leyte. My dad sporterized it in the 50's and it is a handy little thing. I killed my first deer and turkey with it.

My father gave it to me and the does with some Norma brass and Hornady/PPU factory ammo.

This is what I'm seeing:
17EB5419-9AE4-4199-8066-9C346316E8A8.jpeg

Looks like case heads stretched.
E51B7288-204E-47E1-A78D-75B4FB9A2813.jpeg

Primers protruding.
I think the chamber is too long, allowing the case to stretch and giving primers room to back out. FL sizing is going to lead to a case head separation or rupture. How do I fix this? I want to have a safe shooter when all is said and done.

If you are going to handload for this i would create a false shoulder in the cases with a 7mm mandrel, then partially size the neck back for the 6.5.
Then you should be able to chamber them with a slight "crush" fit to eliminate the initial case stretch.
Then only bump the newly fireformed from .001-.003 after that with your FL die backed off that amount.
With moderate loads & frequent annealing your cases should last a long time without the worry of head separation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.