Headspace for off the shelf ammo - 6.5 creedmoor

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about or you would give me and the other Gunsmiths that use this method a good reason. It isn't saami, however, it has been proven safe. Just so you know, the go and no go worked as advertised;)

Never said it wasn't safe. Just said it was a bad idea. Actually I think it's a stupid idea and decided not to bother with such a silly conversation anymore, hence I didn't offer a reply.
But since you insist...... You could have set head space .003~.006 shorter than a SAAMI Go gauge. Cause most new cases are that much shorter than SAAMI min. spec.
Now if you set it .006 short and the next batch of brass is only .003 short of SAAMI, your gonna have a problem.
Also, a lot of dies cannot set a shoulder back that far. So maybe you shouldered the chamber .006 short and the die can only set back to .004 short. Gonna have a problem.
Guy might want to sell the rifle before he burns it out. Now he's trying to sell a rifle that someone chambered .006 shorter than SAAMI spec. That could be a problem too.
In the end, why the heck did you do it anyway? If the Go gauge still fits that means you didn't gain anything by sizing off of the factory round. Which I personally find hard to believe, unless you were not very accurate sizing for the factory load anyways.

My thoughts on resale also. We all know it is safe and I do the same on my wildcats where I form the brass and there is no go-no/go gauges readily available.

I would hate to be 1500 miles from home and realize I forgot my "special" reloads and then come to find out the ammo from the local Cabelas won't fit my chamber.

If you have a "Nut" barrel you can always re-headspace before a sale. For that matter you can run the reamer in deeper in the others.

To each their own but I would need a real good reason to do it.

Imho

Special? It's hornady match off the shelf. I bet I could get that from any store. Don't plan on resale. Annoys me when guys that have no clue say something is a bad idea. A ton of great Gunsmiths do this every day. Know what you're talking about before you bash someone who actually does this not just reads about it

Special? It's hornady match off the shelf. I bet I could get that from any store. Don't plan on resale. Annoys me when guys that have no clue say something is a bad idea. A ton of great Gunsmiths do this every day. Know what you're talking about before you bash someone who actually does this not just reads about it
That's weak dude. Bye

Weak? I've answered all your questions and shown you why. I didn't invent this. You started this by saying it's a bad idea. If you don't like my thread and video, don't look at it. It takes a while to do this to help guys out and then guys like you two talk trash. Keep it to yourself so I can help people out

I got news for ya',, "real gunsmiths" that actually pay product liability insurance don't do that, only the wanna-bes. I see way too much home built stuff (rifles and mainly 1911s when it comes to hand guns) on the 'used' gun racks. Mostly stuff that's out of spec or just plain doesn't work. SAAMI specs exist for a reason. To advocate setting headspace on a rifle using brass does a LARGE dis-service to the trade , the industry, and to the general public...............

SG,
That's always the comment from those that don't agree;"REAL so and sos don't do that". Guess you better start talking to other licensed gunsmiths for br, etc and clean up the industry.
I understand you being worried about legal issues, but these are for ME. You ever do ackley stuff in your business? Now there is a can of worms aside from 280ai that actually has a saami spec sheet.

All your last post tells me is, you don't know what it is you don't know, and I'm not about to take the time to explain it to you. You take a "nonchalant" approach because you have chambered a few. Then, you seem to recommend your methods to others by making videos. Doesn't take a lot of skill to fit up a barrel to an action and then drop it into a stock someone else made. And, by the way, I do know several real, licensed gunsmiths as I have been in the business for well over 25yrs. , and I happen to have a formal education in gunsmithing. I bothered to go to school to learn what can and should be done, and to learn what I did not know without making it up for myself. There are gunsmiths and then there are ammatures. Lots of bad info on YouTube............... consider yourself IGNORED!

All your last post tells me is, you don't know what it is you don't know, and I'm not about to take the time to explain it to you. You take a "nonchalant" approach because you have chambered a few. Then, you seem to recommend your methods to others by making videos. Doesn't take a lot of skill to fit up a barrel to an action and then drop it into a stock someone else made. And, by the way, I do know several real, licensed gunsmiths as I have been in the business for well over 25yrs. , and I happen to have a formal education in gunsmithing. I bothered to go to school to learn what can and should be done, and to learn what I did not know without making it up for myself. There are gunsmiths and then there are ammatures. Lots of bad info on YouTube............... consider yourself IGNORED!
Please ignore me. You don't need a formal school to build accurate rifles. Plenty of examples of that. I've chambered more than a few ;) Having a lot of older gunsmiths around me in my past has taught me there are many SAFE ways to do things. There is a range between a go and no go which you are aware. Nothing wrong with being on the go side of that range so case don't stretch as much on their first firing. After, well, they're fireformed so it doesn't much matter. I agree there is a lot of bad info on YouTube, but what I put forth is not one of them. You won't bother to ask me details because you would rather try and find flaws with others to point others to your business. This ain't rocket science buddy. Good luck to you and ask about the details before you slam other people's methods.

Mram10us,

Why are you so committed to convincing someone to do something incorrectly?

"Can you use a case to set the headspace" is a question that gets asked across the internet on a regular basis. If you don't care if it is done correctly, the obvious answer is "yes you can".

I think prefits and people that shouldn't be installing barrels, installing barrels, has increased the frequency of the question and the practice.

Mram10us,

Why are you so committed to convincing someone to do something incorrectly?

"Can you use a case to set the headspace" is a question that gets asked across the internet on a regular basis. If you don't care if it is done correctly, the obvious answer is "yes you can".

I think prefits and people that shouldn't be installing barrels, installing barrels, has increased the frequency of the question and the practice.
How is it wrong if the go and no go test fine? You realize there is a range there and I'm simply spacing toward the go side? Explain how this is wrong. If you don't reply, I'll assume you have no idea and simply want to side with SG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts