Heads or Tails--6.5/284 or 7mm WSM?

zeke3

I'm on the verge of having a custom gun built for punching paper, varmits and the occassional whitetail (up to 500 yds), but I can't decide on the caliber. From what I've read, the 6.5 is superb. Yet I like the heavier bullet from the 7mm. I'd like to shoot the 6.5 with 147gr or the 7 with 162 A-max or 168 vld. What would you do and why? Thanks in advance.

Zeke, If your only going out to 500, why not a 708 with 150MKs or Ballistis tips, thats only 6" lower(than 7mmWSM)at 400yds with a 200yd zero, and enough power out to 500, mine is showing some fine accuracy for a factory rifle ,albiet with a HS stock, just got my MKs yesterday, looks pretty wicked. But if your stuck on a bigger round, I like the 7mmWSM, Lilja 24" barrel, Rem. action, tuned Rem. trigger or a Jewell is really nice, HS Precision Sporter stock, very nice handling stock. That sounds just like my Rem. S/S 708, Why would I do it like that? Cuz thats my favorite rifle.
grin.gif
Jay.

Plenty of energy and better brass with less recoil would make me lean toward the 6.5

a 6.5/08 ( 260 REM with tighter chamber ) can do the job , good case from Lpua in 243 WIN , good bullets choice , good barrel life , low recoil and less barrel heat than a magnum
An accurate cartridge even able to reach the 1000 meters ( 1100 yards ) with 139 gr Lapua scenar or 142 SMK .

good shooting

DAN TEC

.. For the 7mm a .280AI is mighty hard to beat for the heavier 7mm's.. For the 140's down the 7-08 is hard to beat.. I've had several of them and both are a nice combination of accuracy, energy, brass and bullet availability..
.. The 6.5's are sweet and for the ranges you specified the .260 would be nice.. Maybe the 6.5/284 if you were aspiring to stretch it on out a little later.. There's a lot of fans of the old Swede's.. About the only downside I know to the 6.5's is that ya can't get the bullets just any old place..
..Heck man, pick one ya like the looks of and go shootin'.. d:^) JiNC

ANYTHING with a 6.5! 260 Rem, 6.5-06,
6.5-06 AI, 6.5-284 (excellent), 6.5 Gibbs (my favorite). As mentioned the 280 AI is an awesome hunting and long range rifle.
I can't wait till it is my turn for such a dilemma again.
Dave in Idaho

Zeke,

I ran some numbers on wind drift figuring that it's the great variable and for powerful cartridges in any bore from .25 thru .30 cal they are all about the same with comparable bullets be they SBT's, MK's or whatever!

Of course the bigger the the bore the more powerful but there are trade offs on recoil to be sure.

I happen to have a 7mm WSM in a M 70 SS Classic and it's very accurate and now sports a Farrel elevation base and a Leu 4.5 X 14 Tac scope. This rifle is now in "coyote mode" with that scope.

I have another in the works and it will be on a Montana SA in 270 WSM with a 24' tube. These rifles will have premium barrels and in the case of the Montana a laminated stock.

I did not opt for the 6.5 X 284 because of it's limited power. Sure enough you say 500 yds but sure enough if some critter is way out there then why not a 264 WM?

If it's just target shooting of course a 6mm will cover the first 600 yds but they don't hit hard enough for me way out there.

Get whatever you want and use it to your best ablity. That's what it's all about.

Take a look at a good ol' fashioned 284 Winchester. Good brass, excellent ballistics, heavier bullet selection, reasonable barrel life, etc., etc.

Consider a 178 AMAX, 180 Berger, & either a 156 or 176 Cauterucio.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.