Headlamps or brim lights recommendations

Rilow

looking for suggestions on what lights you guys use hunting. Do you like the hat brim lights or the lights that strap over hat. Looking for recommendations for around camp or on hunt when it gets dark.

I must confess to having way to many headlamps. I bought a Cabelas RGB unit 15 or 20 years ago that is still working and its been through everything. I have 3 in my fanny pack right now. The RGB above that takes 3 AAA, a Streamlight that takes 3 AAA and a Prineton Tec that takes 4 AA batteries.

The RGB as I said has held up for years the Streamlight is brighter and on its 3rd season and its pretty good. The Princeton Tec is new but a good friend has been getting great service from his for a number of years and I think they will actually replace it.

My advice get the brightest and get one that is rechargeable and can use batteries as well they make solar chargers for them as well.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Look at the headlamps from Coast. I have many others but this is my new favorite.
The one that I use is 435 lumen on high but I normally use it on low & sometimes on medium. It also has a red light and is super easy to use.

I lose expensive lights and pocket knives, I can carry the same sog or kershaw for years but the second i slip a benchmade or zero tolerance in my pocket its as good as gone. that being said i picked up a black diamond programmable light to replace my surefire that is lying somewhere in northern arizona and for the 2 weeks i had it i loved it, i set it to low blue light for early morning walks to the deer blind and could light up the woods when i needed lumes. held its own in heavy rain too. the surefire was great but seemed excessively heavy and cumbersome with cold weather headgear. That being said my 15 year old petzel tikka has always came along as a backup. it doesnt have a real dim setting or blue/red light and has failed in a serious downpour but worked again once it dried. If i was to buy one for dry conditions id go tikka no problem, and they're cheap. If i expected to camp in heavy rain areas like the PNW or northern california id look at the black diamond sport, they seem to do good in the wet.

Thanks for suggestions I'll check them out. There's so many it's mind boggling. Do you guys find the red or green options useful?

lots of people think the red lights don't spook game as easy and allow you to use your eyes natural night vision easier, i'm sure there are studies on it but aside from not wanting other hunters knowing where you're headed i've never had a use for the red or blue light

Hard to beat the variety from Petzl. They fit in a pocket when not in use, have a few brightness settings, long battery life, and hold up for years. I use them getting to and from stands and blind sights in the predawn hours, backpacking at the camp site, under the sink fixing plumbing issues. A great all purpose headlamp that won't break the bank. Look at the Tikkina or Tactikka.

Petzl has long been the military/law enforcement standard for these as well as heavy-duty outside use in places like Everest, etc.

Surefire saint I believe is what I have. When it first came it had a battery pack that could hold 3 CR123's or 2 AA's and you could remove that mount and run it like the current minimus with just one CR123. It's been a great light with a good peripheral spill. I've seen lights that throw further but the flood and the level of adjustment with this one is why I like it so much.

I use a zebra light and love it. It takes 18650 rechargeable batteries. I have owned a ton of headlamps over the years and it is by far my favorite. Had it for years and no issues at all. There are several models and they all have a bunch of modes. They are worth a look.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.