Heading north to Alaska!!

Hey Guys,
I am a brand new member. This is my first post. I'll get right to it. My name is Max Meyers. I am from Louisiana. I saw the most interesting forum here-that's why I joined. A fellow named dakor was planning a Brown Bear hunt in AK and was getting advice from a guy named Brent. Basically dakor couldn't decide on his .300 win mag (which I own one, too) or a .375 H&H. others joined in the conversation. Basically, after hearing what they all had to say, a .300 win mag would be a joke to hunt the Big bears with. Some were saying that you need at least a .40 caliber, and they had real stories to back up there point. Some of these people had to shoot these Bears 7 times with .338's and .375's. My main question is this: I have a 45-70 guide gun. I researched it before I bought it and found out that with buffalo Bore, corbon or garrett cartridges, there would be no problem with self-defense. But according to what i read, the 45-70 didn't even come up! dakor was going to use a shotgun with slugs as a backup. See, one day, I'd like to move up to Montana and do some Wildlife Photography. I am more of a nature buff who loves his guns, but would have no problem defending myself. Is the 45.70 enough? Is the .300 winnie enough? I would appreciate input on this. Thanks, Max

Then thee is one of us who lives on Kodiak Island and hunts the big bears every year.
I personally would use the 300 and 200 grain partitions with confidence. Premium bullets are a must. I took my first Brownie with a 200 grain 35 caliber bullet from a handgun in 358 Winchester. Broken neck drops them every time.

Your 45-70 would be my choice over the two you are asking questions about. Big bears do not read ballistics tables so big diameter heavy slow moving bullets that hit hard and penetrate deep are ALWAYS preferred for bone crushing authority!

Personally I hunt with a 338 Edge in a 19" barrreled handgun and feel all the confidence in the world with the 225 grain Nosler Accubond. When I am backing up friends and family I carry either my 358STA or my 416. If I am called into action then I want heavy hitting authority for up close and personal work.

Neal

Here's to you having a successful hunt, good luck, have a safe trip and enjoy. Look forward to the pics.

Hey Gamedog, great pics and great story. Congrats to both of you!

Max Meyers, I would think either would be fine with a good bullet. Id take the 300, however all my bear experience is with big black bears. Hammertime is from Kodiak Ak. Id take heed of his experience, and do what ever he suggests.

Hunting Reg

Make sure you read our hunting regs..............fines are very hard here in Alaska.

300 Win Mag with 180 TSX or Part will work on the big bears.........but 30 cal is the smallest I suggest.

I prefer a 338 Win or 375 Ruger or HH.

gun)

Be sure you bring your waders and foul weather gear. One other thing never ever go any place in the bush without your rifle. and that means the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.