Headed to SD & WY

YHUNTER

Headed to South Dakota and Wyoming last week of August. Will be camping in Moran Junction in the Teton National Forest near the south entrance to Yellowstone.

1 - Anyone know how was the air quality out there with the wildfires ?.
2 - Any Covid 19 restrictions still in place ?
2 - Any info on where to shoot some long range prairie dogs in SD or WY ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I will only go after the longs ones.

Thank you for any info.

I'm not sure about now, but I hope you're air quality is as good as ours was last month! Deadwood, SD was fun if your in the area. Have fun!

1188C5EC-9E26-4FCE-9C34-3B7732DD3EC5.jpeg

Smoke here in the Bighorns is terrible. Worst I have seen. We are at 5800' and 5 miles from the mountains. Look out our living room window and we normally see beautiful snow capped mountains. Haven't seen the mountains in a month, unless we drive into them.
No C19 restrictions right now, except in hospitals... although cases are gaining again.
Get OnX for Wyoming. Much of the public land holds prairie dogs out on the prairie. All can be shot at long range, just don't shoot the close ones!!! Just look for the mounds, they are easy to spot. I can drive in any direction for 5-10 minutes and be popping prairie dogs on public.

Smoke here in the Bighorns is terrible. Worst I have seen. We are at 5800' and 5 miles from the mountains. Look out our living room window and we normally see beautiful snow capped mountains. Haven't seen the mountains in a month, unless we drive into them.
No C19 restrictions right now, except in hospitals... although cases are gaining again.
Get OnX for Wyoming. Much of the public land holds prairie dogs out on the prairie. All can be shot at long range, just don't shoot the close ones!!! Just look for the mounds, they are easy to spot. I can drive in any direction for 5-10 minutes and be popping prairie dogs on public.
Thanks for the info Sir.

I drove from Salt Lake to Denver today so the closest I came was Rock Springs and there was no noticeable smoke there. In fact, there was no noticeable smoke from Salt lake almost all the way to Laramie! Denver on the other hand…
Also, it was super smoky in that region recently and all it will take is a wind shift to bring it back.

Thanks for the info. Covid cancelled our trip last year. Now we are concerned if its even worth going due to poor air quality and poor views. waited

I live just south of Jackson.
We've been getting a good amount of rain the last few days. Air quality is excellent at the moment.
Covid restrictions are not in place.
Things are open except due to low staffing numbers
No prairie dogs here in NW Wyoming.
Coyotes are around. Careful not to call in a grizzly

Headed to South Dakota and Wyoming last week of August. Will be camping in Moran Junction in the Teton National Forest near the south entrance to Yellowstone.

1 - Anyone know how was the air quality out there with the wildfires ?.
2 - Any Covid 19 restrictions still in place ?
2 - Any info on where to shoot some long range prairie dogs in SD or WY ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I will only go after the longs ones.

Thank you for any info.
This is SD and Wyoming. No covid restrictions. As for dogs, plague went through a few years back and they are few and far between. Thunder Basin is closed for the most part, Buffalo Gap has next to none and Grand River and FT Pierre are few and far between. Quite a few west of Mobridge on Tribal and Trust land but not much info for you as I will not pay to shoot sod poodles. Air quality is supposed to be bad but what the heck. Hazy and overcast. I was there last week btw.

I'm in the Black Hills in SD. The smoke has been really thick for the last few weeks. Hopefully that will change, just not sure when. Enjoy your trip.

Bob

This is SD and Wyoming. No covid restrictions. As for dogs, plague went through a few years back and they are few and far between. Thunder Basin is closed for the most part, Buffalo Gap has next to none and Grand River and FT Pierre are few and far between. Quite a few west of Mobridge on Tribal and Trust land but not much info for you as I will not pay to shoot sod poodles. Air quality is supposed to be bad but what the heck. Hazy and overcast. I was there last week btw.
Thanks for all the info.

Recent Posts