Head Shot on deer, Good or Bad?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not opposed to head shots. I've seen them be very lethal. I've also seen lots of deer take head shots and leave injured deer. Blown off faces, jaws. I've had it where a deer looked right at me, I put it right on the end of the nose squeezed the trigger and it fell at the shot. Walked up and the deer was missing it's lower jaw and half it's face. Acted dead, we grabbed her, threw her in the back of the truck and pulled in at the house and she's standing in the back of the truck. It was only a few minutes drive from where she was shot to where we pulled over. After that I felt pretty bad. Definitely not my first choice of shot. Nose must have had enough resistance to glance the bullet out the side of her head. 243 at 50yrds.

For many years I shot deer and sold them to the game buyers, it was big business here in NZ. The price per kilogram was 50% higher for head or neck shot than chest shot. When a deer lifts it head the neck stays almost motionless and they swivel their head around. After watching many wild deer grazing I found that when they lifted their head there was around 5 seconds before they either took a step or lowered their head to continue grazing. For this reason I always shot them in the high neck and of the 100 plus deer I shot only one needed a second shot. All the others dropped on the spot. Shots ranged from 6 yards to almost 300 and all were with a 22.250.

J E Custom,
I have always felt your post are well thought out and this post was also a great response. I had already came to the conclusion that our decision to take these shots was not the best idea, just wanted see see what others thought. I have yet to lose a rifle shot big game animal (came real close in South Africa) and hopefully never will.
Thanks Jeff

Thank you.
Like most, I have made a few iffy shots in my 60+years of hunting and in some cases learned the hard way. I certainly cant preach ethics so each person has to do it for him self. As we get older most of us are not mad at the game we hunt and have no problem passing up iffy shots. If we learn from it, it is a learning experience. If we don't, It can be a mistake.

J E CUSTOM

For me, this falls into the "how good are you," category. I am not going to claim to be some magical super killer, but if you know your equipment, limitations and game........ It's real easy to tell the shooters, from the talkers, when it comes time for nut cutting. Confidence in one's self, good equipment and proper education go a long way into " less than favorable" shots.

swe123,
I posted a question to hopefully educate myself and others, you go into name calling??? This is a long range hunting forum. I believe most hunting shots at 600 plus yards could be considered risky and an attempt to get closer could be made, are those long range shots disrespectful to game? Just a thought....... I agree that a head shot was not my best decision, calling me childish is a little much???
Not much respect for the animals. If your childish games go bad the animal looses not you.

I shot a doe in the head with a marlin 336 in 35 Remington at 50 yards. I was 17. I didn't know any better. It literally scalped her. Like brain exposed, skull cap missing, brain not touched. It partially stunned her. She fell over. I thought she was dead. Got out of my stand and walked over to her. She sat up and looked right at me like nothing was wrong. I immediately shoulder my rifle and put two in the chest. To say the least it messed me up. I considered not hunting for a while. To each there own, I don't judge, but I don't do head shots anymore. Too much weird stuff can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just shot a mature midwestern whitetail buck at 80 yds. with a 15 mph crosswind. It was the second shot, I have ever taken with that bow set up and third ever shot with a crossbow. I liver shot him, but he died and was recovered. So.... taking headshots inside of 500 yds., "no brainer."

You'll see it on the forum all the time!

There was that 6.5 CM thread on an elk at 650. Guy hit it like 3 times and then finished it off with a pistol. It was a YouTube video. That's the only one that comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.