Head shot anyone???

I haven only taken 1 deer with a head shot it worked well that time. But mostly I try my best to get them in the lungs it just to hard to run that way or the hart.
yes I get the front 1/4 some times but i am getting better at not doing that witch reminds me 1 of my buds he makes his bolt sound like a semi auto dont know how he can aim he is a lefty shooting a right handed rifle thats why I think me and his brother are getting tired of tracking HIS deer the last was funny blood trail was a foot wide but the dam wouldnt stay down finly the bro got it it got up maybe 40Y he blasted it in the back of the head with a7mm rem mag right after he said that is f%&*#@g enouh when we got there I dont know how this deer could run or move guts were hanging out all over the place PS I have never gut shoot a deer

I only use head or neck shots to finish a downed animal. Way too easy for something to go wrong on the head or neck. The vital area inside the head and neck is very small, a couple inches off on the shot and you have a very wounded animal that will be very difficult to track.

Hit them in the pump house, they die nicely every time. It also gives more room for error. We all know that we need more room for error in the hunting situation than we do at the range.

Steve

I just became a huge fan of the rear head shot this year. My nephew shot a doe in the back of the head from 185 yards this last season and it couldnt have been a better choice. The 2 does were laying "decoy" motionless with their heads up for at least 5 minutes while my nephew and bro put the stalk on them from the back side of the hill. Nephew rested the .243 on a large rock he was standing behind. He is zeroed at 200 so no hold overs. He picked the big one which from his point of view was looking straight away from him. From my point of view and distance I was looking from the deers 4 o'clock at about 400 yards. The deers head "sneezed", the head dropped to the ground, then I heard the shot. It was the biggest doe of the year. Her little buddy watched her twitch a bit then nervously, but not frantically, trotted away.

Having done quite a bit of culling over the years, I would favour the head shot over every other shot, all else being equal. That way you can kill much more of a group that with heart / lung shots. On a head shot contrary to popular belief the heart does not shut down right away, if you get to the beast within a few minutes and cut the throat to 'bleed out' the animal will be ok.

When culling the buyers are always very keen to have clean meat without waste: the upper neck or head shot gives you that.

I agree with Shawn. Once you see an animal that has been running around with it's jaw shot off trying to eat you will never try a head shot again. I will take a little bloodshot meat over that memory. I saw three in one season 30 years ago and hve never forgot the miserable sight.
Bob

Brush4646

There are a lot of idiots out there that do some stupid things. But if you read Shawns post it points out side shots as being risky and the rear shot as being safer. I agree ans also like the head on shot for safety. You have to know your equipment and limits. I kill a lot of deer every year culling with head shots. Often times it is the best way to get the job done, never lost one yet. As with any type of LRH you have to know your limits, It's no different then stories of *** shot animals at 1K neither is acceptable.

Been doing brain stem shots since age of 12 Dad would take noting else as he hated to see blood shot meat an would not stand for any wasted meat.Made a distinquished master out of me.At age 71[going on25] my last head shot was 850 yd with 338 laupa on a spike elk.Still workin as a predator hunter an trapper.

Last edited:
Hello to all,

Is there anyone amongs you more experienced shooters and hunters who choose on purpose to take a head shot over a lungs shot?
I have never shot at a deer with a rifle but with a bow I always try for a double lungs. Any infos is much appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
I've seen too many deer and antelope horribly wounded to feel like headshots are a good idea on them.

On predators when night hunting often it's the only shot because the eyes are all you can see.

On hogs, if I have the light weight guns instead of the big guns I frequently shoot for headshots; preferably for the ear hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.