Head separation?

ArkiePaul

Hello all, this is the first thread that I have started. Hope to do it right. One of my sons left almost 100 pieces of 30-06 brass with me when he moved to Alaska. I FL resized them this morning. I noticed that almost all of them have a shiny ring above the rim (head?). I think all were fired from his Garand. Is this an indication of case head separation? Should I trash them? Thanks for any help.

Could be an incipient case head separation, or could be the point where your die stopped sizing. Can you post some pictures? You can check the inside with a paper clip, just google it as I'm sure there are videos. If you have one available a bore scope works to look inside the case.
Either way, if you are iffy about the brass then throw it out.

"Could be" caused by, the Bigger Garand, Chamber Dia and, a "Smallish" Sizing die.
Semi-auto's used for War, would HAVE, a slightly bigger Chamber Dia. due to needing to Function with, Various Ammo, Dust, Mud, Rain / Snow, etc.
Might cut one in Half and,.. "Look" to see IF, any separation, is involved.
Most older Reloading manuals, will show, Pic's of,.. "case separation".

Last edited:
This is what imminent case head separation looks like…
image.jpg

Cutting a case open to look inside is good advice. Clamp a case in a vise & hack saw a diagonal cut across the suspect area & look inside. Kind of tough to feel a tiny depressed ring with a bent paper clip.

Shiny area most likely caused by die forming but good to check..IMG_1497.JPG

I lacked the sensitivity to pick up on this with a paper clip probe and lacking a portable X-RAY or bore scope I cut thru 3 cases, observed imminent separation, then tossed the other 46 into the scrap bin. I carry a .38 bronze pistol brush in my range bag or back pack & if this happens resulting in the front of a case (head-less) being stuck in the chamber (which it has) the brush if pushed thru a stuck headless chambered case can pulled out with the stuck case. Be Prepared!

Last edited:
Reloaded for about 10 years with a LEE press never had a problem. Changed to RCBS and had every case look just like the picture above after fired. Didn't realize at the time but the new press gave me a lot more leverage and I was creating this problem be doing the adjustment to the sizing die according to instructions that came with the die.
A friend told me what the problem was and to buy a case length gage and incrementally adjust the die to put the case just inside the case length too long face.
Never had that problem again.

Cutting a case open to look inside is good advice. Clamp a case in a vise & hack saw a diagonal cut across the suspect area & look inside. Kind of tough to feel a tiny depressed ring with a bent paper clip.

Shiny area most likely caused by die forming but good to check..
I'm learning a lot already. I appreciate the tips. I'd post pics but I'm a 67 year old computer dummy and don't know how! I am going to run a paper clip or Allen wrench down the case to check. Thanks guys.
Good morning...you were able to post words so your are 3/4 of the way to posting pics...( that's computer talk for pictures...🤣)...when you respond or post...just look at the bottom left corner....says attach files...push it ..and it takes you to your files and pictures...pick your pic..hit done...

Good morning...you were able to post words so your are 3/4 of the way to posting pics...( that's computer talk for pictures...🤣)...when you respond or post...just look at the bottom left corner....says attach files...push it ..and it takes you to your files and pictures...pick your pic..hit done...
And it's even easier if you get in to the forum with your phone. Do as skipglo said and take the photo right there…

Note that both pix showing incipient case head separation were of belted cases. They are typically more at risk of case head separation because they headspace on the belt, so the case can stretch from that point forward (i.e., toward the neck.).

What you have described sounds like typical Garand stretching. You will probably find it harder to resize, and you will be working the brass more so it will probably wear out sooner, but you should be able to reload it safely several times.