He shoots...and he scores!

old_heli_logger

The last day of bow season here in Oregon and I called in a 4-point bull elk and got him at 35 yards. Perfect double-lung shot and he dropped 35 yards away...about 5 seconds total. What a rush!!

Wonderful! I have never bow hunted for elk, but I always thought they must look huge at that close range.

The last day of bow season here in Oregon and I called in a 4-point bull elk and got him at 35 yards. Perfect double-lung shot and he dropped 35 yards away...about 5 seconds total. What a rush!!

5 seconds total! Oh you must be just talking about the fun part. You must have a psychological block about the five hours of gutting, hauling and skinning afterward. ;)

Uuuhh, yeah...what I meant to say was 5 seconds from the time I released to the time we heard the big train-wreck crash.

They do look big at close range...it took me 5 seasons before I connected on my first elk. My first elk was a cow at nine paces :D, then my second was a spike at 38 yards and then this one at 35 yards...the last three season have been very successful for me...I thank the good Lord every time I think about it. I'm still just squirtin' all over myself...

Wonderful! I have never bow hunted for elk, but I always thought they must look huge at that close range.

If you ever get a 900lb screaming bull at less than 20 yds, it will stand the hair up on the back of neck, raise your heart rate to about 250 and it gets in your blood for the rest of your life!!! I have never hunted ANYTHING else that compares.
Dave

Dirtball I can put you in a whooly swamp after a whitetial..... the sounds you hear after dark will do the same thing! But I know the feelin!

Congrats on your bull Logger. Say, what part of Oregon did you hunt? I have been hunting the Sumpter unit mostly. I seem to find elk but it hasn't worked out for me yet. This will be my fourth year bowhunting for elk, almost thinking about going back to the rifle.
You went five years though. I have gotten deer, but I sure would like to have some elk meat in the freezer.

Southern Oregon coast...it's a couple of private ranches that our great, great grandfathers pioneered back in the 1880's. I wish I could invite you, but my cousin and I are the only ones that are allowed to access this little slice of heaven. I would suggest a Montana decoy and calls...Good luck!!

Congrats on your bull Logger. Say, what part of Oregon did you hunt? I have been hunting the Sumpter unit mostly. I seem to find elk but it hasn't worked out for me yet. This will be my fourth year bowhunting for elk, almost thinking about going back to the rifle.
You went five years though. I have gotten deer, but I sure would like to have some elk meat in the freezer.

Im in Lagrande and I hunt the same area, you need a person to call for you, to get behind you 20yds so the bull walks past you looking for the caller and then your able to shoot him.
or tree stand it.

My normal hutning party drew rifle tags this year, so I archery hunted by myself. My logic was to not shoot one too far from the road, within a half mile or so. I did get in elk, but since I called for myself its not as easy. But its not impossible either I suppose. I always have fun chasing elk and getting close to them. I cover ground in areas we have gotten into them before. I just don't think that I can sit in a tree stand all day. I would get stir crazy.

I really like the elkhorn mountains, alot. I wished I didn't live a hour and a half from them. I live in Pendleton.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.