HBN coating?

zr600

Does anybody hbn coat? My buddy gave me some hbn to try. He said just put some bbs in a pill bottle and the bullets with hbn and tumble it in my tumbler for awhile. Anyone have any advice and advantages? Is it true I will see better es and sd? Will I see less coldbore shots out of place? Any and all advice I would appreciate. Thanks.

HBN is a legitimate coating but not always necessary. When I have a barrel the builds with copper I try hBN and normally it lessens fouling and cleaning time. If a barrel does not build with copper I do not find hBN is worth the effort but it could be argued that it may help as mentioned above; will have to experiment with a specific rifle. If you give it a try you need to make sure the pills are cleaned well with alcohol and completely dry otherwise it will blotch and not coat evenly. I coat them in a cleaned peanut butter jar 500 (25 blackjacks) at a time. Tape the lid on and let it run in the vibratory tumbler for an hour or so with a about 1/2 teaspoonful of hBN, depending on how much is left in the jar and media from prior use (I add some stainless steel tumbling media but many say it is not necessary). When finished I screen out the media and roll them in an old sock to remove the extra hBN. Then restore them to the original container. Not complicated. There is a lot of additional information on LRH if you want to search it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.