HBN Bullet Coating

to the best of my knowledge David Tubb is THE MAN as far as hbn goes. He introduced the shooting world to hbn as a shooting product. Visit his site and read all he has to say about it, no one knows more about this than he does.

DO PAY ATTENTION to the particle size…I forget off the top of my head what micron size it's at but there's a point beyond which it doesn't serve as a lubricant nor does it impregnate the metal, just sits on top of it and has strong abrasive qualities.

to the best of my knowledge David Tubb is THE MAN as far as hbn goes. He introduced the shooting world to hbn as a shooting product. Visit his site and read all he has to say about it, no one knows more about this than he does.

DO PAY ATTENTION to the particle size…I forget off the top of my head what micron size it's at but there's a point beyond which it doesn't serve as a lubricant nor does it impregnate the metal, just sits on top of it and has strong abrasive qualities.
Is that the stuff used in the final finish kit, but various grits of HBN?

I found this from several years ago on LRH. Also seems like there are two ways to use hBN. One is just as a bullet coating like Moly and the other is to "Season" the bore of your barrel.
I think that David Tubbs did a lot of research.

Is that the stuff used in the final finish kit, but various grits of HBN?
Brad
NO!
Final finish is a GRIT coating on a bullet to smooth imperfections in the Bore. DT made the "Fire Lapping" System.
hBN is a lube used like Moly but totally different properties.

I suppose it would, just like oil or graphite. Or carbon. I find the best remedy for that, with or without bullet coatings, is to not be too carried away with cleaning fired brass. A little carbon film in the neck is a good thing
I believe Alex Wheeler did something that "burnished" the case necks. But I can't remember the details. It might be akin to that carbon but like I said, I can't remember the details.

I've been using the lock ease for first round consistency out of a clean barrel. I discovered the aerosol Napa product dries and coats the bore with graphite. The liquid bottle type does not! Just FYI.
I use lock ease on every first round, let it dry then shoot as normal.

watch

Speedy use's it....it's good with me.

I use lock ease on every first round, let it dry then shoot as normal.

watch

Speedy use's it....it's good with me.
That is where I got the idea.

I am going to pour the Dry imperial neck lube graphite in a bore and smooth it with a patch. That stuff sticks and smears all over me and everything on the bench, so I am sure it should coat the bore nicely! :D

Last I heard graphite draws moisture to it. Whereas HBN doesn't.
Hmm I live in high humidity and have never experienced that. Not to say it doesn't. I know copper attracts it very well. Proved that to a friend that never cleans his barrels after use. I cleaned one of his to the bare metal and showed him the scope before which his bore was already green from the copper oxidation. After removed there were some pitted spots under the copper layer from it drawing moisture.

As far as the graphite it does eliminate first round fliers for sure. It also helps on copper fowling by a substantial amount. I'm not talking a lot of graphite. I just patch it in and let it dry them dry patch it out and store the rifle and I know it's good for the next shot. I tried coating the bullets with with hbn. Pressure was reduced and so was velocity so I never dove into it again. I actually use it now costing the door hinge pins on the house. Wife hates it cause the doors swing so much better it's almost like slamming them they have so much swing to them now.