Having issues working up a load

Yotekiller

Im trying too many new components and getting some strange results. Im not sure where to go from here. HBN, Berger 156 EOL, Vihtavuori N565, CCI 250 Mag primers, Norma 6.5x284 brass.

First time trying Hexagonal Boron Nitride. Purchased from Bulletcoatings.com. Followed the instructions to clean the barrel and swab with a mixture of 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, tumbled bullets for 2 hours, and cleaned off excess.

Brass annealed, sonic cleaned, dried in food dehydrator then left for several days, full length sized, trimmed, bullets seated .01 off the lands.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

1st shot. 53 grains 2918
2nd shot. 53 grains 2830
3rd shot. 53 grains failed to fire
4th shot. 53.5 grains 2907
5th shot. 54 grains failed to fire
6th shot. 54.5 2894
7th shot. 55 grains 2890
8th shot. 55.5 grains 2882
9th shot. 56 grains 3041 Case had extractor mark and bolt was hard to open

The erratic primer is where I would start. The question being is it the primer or the rifle? There is likely more variability than fires or doesn't going on. No HBN experience here.

Im half way through a brick of 1,000 primers and these are the first ones to have any issue.

what do the primers look like after firing?? I would look at a different brand of primers and my firing pin/spring. maybe try a Fed215m primer and redo your tests?? look at your firing pin hole.....any burs, brass shavings?? seems like a ignition issue

The rifle was shooting the same primers and brass with 140 hvld and H4831SC into .3 or better MOA before treating with HBN.

Vihtavuori N565 is a slow powder. Down in the Retumbo and H1000 area it seems.
I too have a hard time correlating HBN with fail to fire. I would at least go back to H4831SC to see if the primer ignition issues go away. I have had problems with CCI250 and slow powders in a 300 RUM before. If going back to H4831SC cures things, I would try a F210 or F215 with the N565.

Deprimed and loaded the same powder/bullet back with a primer from a different box and both fired.

53 grains 2876
54 grains 2908

Originally I was thinking low pressures watching the velocity drop but after inspection both primers never went off.

How long does it usually take for a barrel to stabilize after hbn treatment?

I agree with Barrel nut, I have been using g Hbn on every bullet I've loaded for the last 5-6 years and have never had a problem..as far as the barrel "stabilizing" after Hbn, I don't know that there is any. When I first started using it, one of the benefits was the first shot cold bore would group with the rest of them. I don't know if anyone has done any extensive testing lately on Hbn, but I'll keep using it until it's proven detrimental to accuracy. I believe Tubbs was one of the first to use it, and he has much more knowledge than I ever will......as to the ignition problem, sounds like maybe you have it figured out....if it continues, check primer seating depth....rsbhunter

I use 4831sc or Norma mrp2 federal 215 or Winchester primers, I'm not in front of my load data so I can't tell you how much powder I use or oal. I load it on the slow node it shoots great. All my brass is inside and out side neck turned, lapua brass

How far you bumping the shoulders ? sounds like you have a headspace issue with the case head separation.
Measure a fired case on the datum line and adjust your die to not bump the shoulder at all and see if theres any fail to fires.

Im trying too many new components and getting some strange results. Im not sure where to go from here. HBN, Berger 156 EOL, Vihtavuori N565, CCI 250 Mag primers, Norma 6.5x284 brass.

First time trying Hexagonal Boron Nitride. Purchased from Bulletcoatings.com. Followed the instructions to clean the barrel and swab with a mixture of 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol, tumbled bullets for 2 hours, and cleaned off excess.

Brass annealed, sonic cleaned, dried in food dehydrator then left for several days, full length sized, trimmed, bullets seated .01 off the lands.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

1st shot. 53 grains 2918
2nd shot. 53 grains 2830
3rd shot. 53 grains failed to fire
4th shot. 53.5 grains 2907
5th shot. 54 grains failed to fire
6th shot. 54.5 2894
7th shot. 55 grains 2890
8th shot. 55.5 grains 2882
9th shot. 56 grains 3041 Case had extractor mark and bolt was hard to open

My first thought(s) is to change primers and powder something closer to H4350 and H4831SC then double-check your firing pin, and cartridge case dimensions, you got to start somewhere good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.