Having a factory barrel threaded yay or nay

Thread factory barrel or buy new?

• Have factory barrel threaded

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • Buy new barrel that's pre threaded

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

midwesthunter

So I have a Savage 10T 6.5 Creedmoor, it was one of the cabelas exclusives from several years ago. Its a good shooter, I would call it a 1 MOA rifle as it shoots most factory ammo at that or better and my handloads are .75 MOA. I am thinking about having it threaded so I can run a suppressor on it. I have never had a barrel threaded after the fact. I know the harmonics could change and accuracy could go out the window.

I guess that depends on where your priorities are. If accuracy is the, as was with me, the highest priority then I wouldn't risk it. But now I look back at all those years of hearing damage caused by the military, training and hunting and suppressors look pretty enticing.

I had a factory 700 barrel threaded when I was first getting into the PRS game. New barrel and action truing wasn't in the cards at the time. Very happy I had it threaded to run my can. Would do it again in a heartbeat if needed.

I have done this with three factory barrels. My reason for doing it- after barrel break in I worked up some test loads and the barrels showed promise. Further load development got me pretty happy and I decided the barrels were worth more than just inexpensive range practice while waiting for my other barrels to cool between strings...they were pretty good shooters. So I had them threaded for suppressors.

Had the barrels been trash, I probably would have been more frustrated with the poor accuracy and grouping, and would have replaced them as soon as funds became available to do so, and I would not have bothered to thread them. Because they grouped well and were consistent, I knew I would keep them and would want to suppress to extend the enjoyment on longer range sessions and any hunting trip that they would be well suited for.

All of that is a long way to say- if you plan to keep the barrel and put more than a box of ammo or two a year through it, and if you already have a suitable suppressor that could be used on it, I would have it threaded.

I voted to replace the barrel I see that I am in the minority but I still stand behind my vote and will not change it ,but I guess it all depends on your expectations financial situation etc. so I will add this one stipulation if you're happy with the way it shoots now have it threaded when you've reached a certain point were you prefer a custom barrel over a standard production barrel why waste another hundred dollars when you could put that money towards a better barrel and I believe be happier with the end result

I've had dozens of factory barrels threaded and never had an issue unless the threads weren't concentric with the bore. Make sure the barrel is indicated true off the bore, not the profile. A range rod is a good tool for this.
Bigger is always better as long as a sufficient shoulder is maintained. If big threads and a small barrel diameter is the problem, longer threads and a shoulder bushing can fix you up.

I had a savage 10 flcp-k in .223 that was factory threaded in 5/8x24. It shoots 1/2 moa consistently, but I couldn't find a mount for my .223 can in that thread pitch. Had the gun re-threaded to 1/2x28 by ga precision (125 bucks) and it shot just as well as it did before. If you are happy with the performance of the barrel and are already reloading for the rifle, I say just get it threaded. They don't have to pull the barrel, so you won't have to remeasure everything.

So I have a Savage 10T 6.5 Creedmoor, it was one of the cabelas exclusives from several years ago. Its a good shooter, I would call it a 1 MOA rifle as it shoots most factory ammo at that or better and my handloads are .75 MOA. I am thinking about having it threaded so I can run a suppressor on it. I have never had a barrel threaded after the fact. I know the harmonics could change and accuracy could go out the window.
It's not a big deal to have your factory rifle barrel threaded. If you're concerned about a harmonics change, no need to be. Here's a suggestion you may want to look into a lil bit. It sounds like it would fit your needs to a T. Harrels - makes a Tuner brake ( like the BOSS brakes, of which I've had 2 ) Its a good muzzle brake that you can harmonically tune your barrel with whatever ammo you choose to be a tack driver & felt recoil you can literally shoot all day.

I would thread it - I just had LongRifles Inc cut back and thread my 22-250 AI savage pre-fit barrel. They did a great job! I originally went 26" a couple years back, but now that I have a suppressor, I wanted threads and a shorter barrel.

Shoots just as good as it did before and much more functional.

I would thread it if it has the twist rate you need to stabilize the best bullets you want to shoot. And it has plenty of life left in it.
It is reported to be accurate with what you have been shooting. And will most likely continue to be accurate with those loads.

All 5 of my factory Tikka rifles were threaded, for a suppressor, after the fact, by a Gun Smith. The worst shooting one, 6.5X55 with suppressor, still shoots a solid .5 moa with the others shooting even better with my reloads.