Have you tried Optimal Barrel Time approach?

ShtrRdy

Have any of you tried using the Optimal Barrel Time, OBT, approach, or cross checked a load that works with the OBT nodes? You would have to be using Quickload, or some other approach, to get a barrel time number.

I strive to do that with every rifle I own.

Have proven it to be true with 2 different rifles. One is a M38 Mauser (Husqvarna)in 6.5x55 built in '41 or '43 (can't remember). The gun would never consistently put a group together (always a flier) with many different bullets. I have no idea how many rounds are down the tube (let's just say a lot)? After getting Quickload and learning how to use it, I finally got the gun consistently shooting under 3/4 MOA and on good days under 1/2 MOA. 143ELD-X @ 2653fps, right on the node.

The other is a Ruger 77 (30-06) rebarreled with a Krieger 24". The gun shoots good, but even better on the node with 168s a touch over 3000fps @ 1/2 MOA. She's fast!

Point is, tuning to the node has worked for me. Give it a shot, I think you will find it's worth your time?

I started a thread on this topic a few months back.

My conclusion is OBT is like a stopped clock. It's right twice a day. None of my best shooting nodes correspond to the calculated ideal OBT times. Not even within 20%. This is across multiple guns, calibers, powders, bullets, etc.
I have better luck shooting 0.3-0.5 gr increments and finding the accuracy nodes that way. Then refine with 0.2 gr and refine and determine repeatability.

Last edited:
My conclusion is OBT is like a stopped clock. It's right twice a day. None of my best shooting nodes correspond to the calculated ideal OBT times. Not even within 20%. This is across multiple guns, calibers, powders, bullets, etc.
I have better luck shooting 0.3-0.5 gr increments and finding the accuracy nodes that way. Then refine with 0.2 gr and refine and determine repeatability.
My experience exactly, will continue with this method /\
To each their own, more than one way to skin a cat
Doesn't matter how you get there.....long as you get there :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.