Have you taught anyone to reload ?

Here is my 11 year old daughter. She was 10 in the reloading pic. The pic of here with the deer is her first deer taken this last nov. the bullets she was using she reloaded herself! I'm with her every step of the way. It's unreal how thorough she has become. And quite a darn good shot as well. She took that little buck at162 yards. I have a 15 year old son that loves hunting, but would rather be hunting the reloading.

Attachments

• 0EC17893-5B9B-431F-813D-A4AA7809FB1A.jpeg
    0EC17893-5B9B-431F-813D-A4AA7809FB1A.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 4063F2C4-6509-4874-A9DA-E9BA646B1B6B.jpeg
    4063F2C4-6509-4874-A9DA-E9BA646B1B6B.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 69
Here is my 11 year old daughter. She was 10 in the reloading pic. The pic of here with the deer is her first deer taken this last nov. the bullets she was using she reloaded herself! I'm with her every step of the way. It's unreal how thorough she has become. And quite a darn good shot as well. She took that little buck at162 yards. I have a 15 year old son that loves hunting, but would rather be hunting the reloading.
And she will still be "Daddy's Girl" when she is 40. Great job Daddy!!

My son liked to help when he was little.
He'd set bullets on case and I'd seat. Later on I let him pull press handle. He was in charge of tumbler since 3 or 4 yrs old. Lol. What a mess. As he got older he lost interest and was into other things. Sad.. But he liked to burn up the ammo. He's 28 and moved out when 21. Now live in different states .
A few months before I moved I got a good friend started in reloading for his 300 win mag and 243. We have to communicate by phone now when he has questions . Now I'm depressed :(

Last edited:
I've taught a lot of "kids" a lot of things, including reloading, whether literal kids or the colloquial signifying teen to early 30 something "kids." Obviously, nobody is condoning anyone allow an 8 year old to charge cases independently, but there are plenty of operations kids can be trusted to complete, and which can be safe for a kid (depriming with nitrile gloves, hand washing, safety glasses, pinch shields, for example).

I'm no longer current, but I've taught the NRA Metallic Reloading course in the past, as well as one-on-one and small group instruction classes and coaching. Personally, I have seen a considerable increase in interest in reloading in the last ~10yrs. Whether for an interest in prepping, attempts to get in front of political upheaval, high volume AR blasting, or long range precision shooting (or not so long), it seems there's been a massive growth in interest in recent years.

Teaching reloading to a child isn't so different than teaching anything else to a child. The duration should be commensurate with the ability of the child to sustain diligent focus, and the risks assumed in terms of process safety and product quality (safety as well) need to be thoroughly understood before introducing the kids.

I have taught my oldest son the progressive steps of proper reloading. Once he was able to do every step flawlessly, I told him he had to teach his sister. My daughter has learned the proper progression of reloading from her brother. Now she gets to teach my youngest Z. My children reload their own ammo. If they don't, they are not going to have anything to put in the gun. They understand the intricacies of reloading an accurate round and how it correlates to being successful in the field. Like several of you mentioned, lack of work and phones can hinder the fruits you are trying to teach. However, if you show these young men and women the benefits of their work, it's surprising how quickly they use those phones to better their process on the bench.
Case in point, my daughter has a wildcat. She fireformed 20 cases. I asked if that would be enough. Answer was yes, trust me. She broke her rifle in during those 20. Then picked her bullet/powder combo and did her own load development. After load development she still had 12 left. In the past 2 hunting seasons she has pulled the trigger 4 times and killed 3 trophy animals and one doe. She still has 8 rounds left.

Progression = A series of steps in the reloading process. We do not use a progressive press.

Last edited:
I'm helping a friend learn.
At the same time, my 2-1/2y/o son "helps" with the press. Only at the resize stage, but he is wanting to be involved. He will hopefully be a great student as he grows and matures.

*Edit* - His helping is setting and removing the brass from the shell holder, then pulling and pushing the press handle on a single stage RCBS. It's great to watch him press down; he lifts his entire body off the ground to get the handle to press at the very bottom of the motion, then uses all of his strength to push it back to the very top.
Have you let him into the tumbler yet...
:)

I help and teach anyone that wishes to learn to reload, I have twin RL-550's, I lock down the shell plate and show them how or help them through a problem with a 4 station press. no progression. they have to move the case from station to station as if it was built that way.
most of the people I help and show how to reload are over 35, families, at least a wife and they are not allowed to spend as much on ammo as they were previously.

Bought my son-in-law a Dillon and helped him set it up for 45 ACP and 9 mm. Loved it, learned quickly and shoots a lot as does my daughter ( she is ex-Army he is still in 3rd group SF at Bragg). Taught two of my daughter to reload. Kids do have a short attention span these days and fewer and fewer are into the shooting sports of any type.

I Taught my son when he was 8 after that all I had to do is supervise I have helped a number of people I work with learn to reload and always there to answer any questions they have had I also have had Boy Scouts pack over to learn a number of times also I think it's very important to get the younger generation involved in shooting

Have taught numerous people to reload over the years, but failed to teach even more.

The interest has to be there on THEIR part, I compare it to teaching someone to play a musical instrument, some only have enough interest to learn to pund out chopsticks with two fingers on the piano, some can play "Hungarian Rapsody 6" within a year or two, you get out of it what you're willing to put into it. It's a learned skill.

Last edited:
I'd love to teach someone to reload but nobody is interested. My son could care less, he hunts a week of deer season each year and thats it. Tried but not interested, hunting buddy said he wanted to learn for him and his son, gave them a complete list of equipment to buy and they bought it all. That was 10 years ago and he still says I need to get you to teach us....while they continue to buy factory ammo. Wow it just don't make sense to me..........
I can relate to that 2 of my friends bought equipment, and asked for help. I said " any time" well, neither has even unpacked their stuff, after 2 years

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.