Have you taught anyone to reload ?

I am wondering if reloading will disappear before our eyes. KIDS dont like to do manual labor much these days .I want to teach some more kids to reload just like I taught them hunting and fishing .I am seeing a ton of guys above 60 quiting reloading.

Yes I have taught two friends and my wife to reload. At one stage it was illegal to reload for others here in NZ even if you did it for free. To be on the correct side of the law it was better to teach others to safety reload their own. Rules have relaxed now but my wife gets a real kick out of shooting deer and varmints with ammo she has loaded.

I was taught by my uncle who was a competition shooter military.and civy. I have taught all three of my daughters, my wife a few cousins. A number of friends.

Been handloading since I was 12 so 36yrs now.

I am also still constantly learning from others and very open to it. From time to time, I will scour over old forms and BB mail list; reading posts from a number of BR HOFers etc. Chat with shooters at comps.

What I like about handloading is how its meditative for me. The outside world and its BS falls away. It's much more so with precision loading case prep etc vs pulling the handle on a 650 or 1050. The more I have to interact the more the benefit. I think its why I still like using my old 550 for range pistol ammo.

I see many posts on numerous forums trying to do less for "time management" or "effort for return" reasons. I am just the opposite I look forward to anything I can do to make things more consistent. I enjoy the processes of handloading; yet still a second to shooting and distant to hunting. Still I look forward to it over many other things.

I enjoy doing and finding ways to make more consistently equal ammo. Weight /size sorting cases and bullets, neck turning polishing, flash holes, primer pockets, primer sorting, annealing etc.

I also find girls are way easier to teach and take instruction well. Boys today have way too much video game john wick want be attitudes.

But I do find boys want to learn as they like the idea of making ubber deadly custom ammo. Lol. I figure I can help guide them to where they appreciate it in more mature ways Kid these days are so spoiled for choices unfortunately most of those are sitting in front of a screen be it phone or large flat screen.

Last edited:
My grandson wants me to show him, but he was 8 when asked about it, I just told him when you get a little older and LEARN to pay attention, I will show you all the tricks of the trade. He is now 10, but is still no where near he needs to be in the paying attention department... I just want him to have some maturity before starting.

You might be missing out on a good reloading buddy, I've found with my kids the more I talk through what I'm doing the more they pay attention. Even when I don't think they are paying attention they are listening, so don't worry to much about age, or trying to "train" him just verbalize what you are doing and why. You might be surprised how fast he starts picking it up.

You might be missing out on a good reloading buddy, I've found with my kids the more I talk through what I'm doing the more they pay attention. Even when I don't think they are paying attention they are listening, so don't worry to much about age, or trying to "train" him just verbalize what you are doing and why. You might be surprised how fast he starts picking it up.
Yeah, I know, I am sure, now that he is moving down the road from me, I will have the opportunity to have him assist me.

I have been reloading since 1977. I too started with the bang them together Lee Loader. I am 68 now and have had a Lyman Spartan single stage press since 1980. Reloaded thousands and thousands of .45 .357, 38 special, 9 mm, .308, .223, .35 Remington, .270 and 12 gauge. Not to many wanted to learn or did not have the patients to get far. In 2019 a buddy at the gun club I am Vice president of wanted to learn. He is 67. I have been helping him along for about 6 months now and helping him get all the tools he needs. He is coming along quite well with 38 special, 357 magnum, 9 mm and 45 a c p. There are a lot of tricks and specs to learn and also some ways to make sure all is safe. It has been enjoyable to be someones mentor and watch them catch on and learn how to do it right.

My grandson wants me to show him, but he was 8 when asked about it, I just told him when you get a little older and LEARN to pay attention, I will show you all the tricks of the trade. He is now 10, but is still no where near he needs to be in the paying attention department... I just want him to have some maturity before starting.

Rather than teach your grandson the entire process, let him get involved in small ways. For instance, you could do all the case prep, priming and weigh powder and drop it in the cases. Then let you grandson load the bullets. This way, he gets to handle the bullet and 'pull the handle'. He could do it over and over and he can't screw it up because the press is all set. All your grandson has to do is make sure he pulls the handle all the way to ensure the bullet is seated at the right depth.

I showed my son but he never really took to it, my daughter on the other hand enjoys it. I do the brass prep after she resizes them I hand prime them she takes back over. She weighs every charge the has to come get me to inspect that all cases have powder before she can seat the bullets.

Rather than teach your grandson the entire process, let him get involved in small ways. For instance, you could do all the case prep, priming and weigh powder and drop it in the cases. Then let you grandson load the bullets. This way, he gets to handle the bullet and 'pull the handle'. He could do it over and over and he can't screw it up because the press is all set. All your grandson has to do is make sure he pulls the handle all the way to ensure the bullet is seated at the right depth.
Exactly. Started my kids just setting the bullet on the case in the press. Then seating. Before long they were cleaning primer pockets. One step at a time.

Remember guys, any time you spend with your kids is important!!! Doesn't really matter what you are doing. Find ways to let them help, reloading, working on stands, working in the yard, anything while they are little. Your life will be much easier when they get older, have their own agenda and consider all of it work. Trust me on this one. Just make sure you keep them safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.