Have you taught anyone to reload ?

dgr416

Today's kids get board really quick .I was wondering if anyone was teaching kids or others to reload. I learned on my own and went from a leeloader straight to a dillion 550 progressive .I showed a few kids how to and they loved it .I see lots of people selling off all their reloading stuff lately .I just bought another dillion 550 I got tired 8f changing over the primer system .I am 57 now and not sure if I will be reloading in ten years but I hope so .I have loaded over 100,000 rounds and actually wore out a dillion which they replaced for free .

My grandson wants me to show him, but he was 8 when asked about it, I just told him when you get a little older and LEARN to pay attention, I will show you all the tricks of the trade. He is now 10, but is still no where near he needs to be in the paying attention department... I just want him to have some maturity before starting.

Today's kids get board really quick .I was wondering if anyone was teaching kids or others to reload. I learned on my own and went from a leeloader straight to a dillion 550 progressive .I showed a few kids how to and they loved it .I see lots of people selling off all their reloading stuff lately .I just bought another dillion 550 I got tired 8f changing over the primer system .I am 57 now and not sure if I will be reloading in ten years but I hope so .I have loaded over 100,000 rounds and actually wore out a dillion which they replaced for free .
I have taught my son to reload. Its a good thing to show a youth how to reload.

I'd love to teach someone to reload but nobody is interested. My son could care less, he hunts a week of deer season each year and thats it. Tried but not interested, hunting buddy said he wanted to learn for him and his son, gave them a complete list of equipment to buy and they bought it all. That was 10 years ago and he still says I need to get you to teach us....while they continue to buy factory ammo. Wow it just don't make sense to me..........

I am teaching a friend right now, have helped many. I get asked for tip and tricks almost daily. 2 kids that I want to teach, and said they were willing to learn, our Godson and his younger brother have failed to show interest. Even after I had twin 6 Dashers built for them, a sizeable investment. I do not get kids today, lol, but also realize the why aspect, if I am willing to do it for them, why not just be a kid.

My grandson wants me to show him, but he was 8 when asked about it, I just told him when you get a little older and LEARN to pay attention, I will show you all the tricks of the trade. He is now 10, but is still no where near he needs to be in the paying attention department... I just want him to have some maturity before starting.
Right or wrong, this is what i did with the kids when they were little, and will do with my grandson when he starts shooting. I let the kids help... Loading shotshells on a Mec 9000G, I would let them insert the wad in the machine, and box the ammo. Loading centerfire, I would insert the charged case in the press and let them add the bullet from the other side, then I would seat the bullet, and they would remove the round from the press and box the rounds. Two stools, one on either side of the press. They "helped" load the shells they shot. Yes, they are slower than doing it all yourself. But, them adding the bullet made them feel they were shooting "Their" bullets. Kept interest up, and gave them a little extra quality time with Daddy. If they are big enough to shoot, they are big enough to help with the work. They eventually learned to load their own ammo, but never showed any interest in loading "Daddy's". They are both girls BTW.

I'm slowly getting my 13 year old son involved. The problem is, he's got an iPhone 11 and is developing an eye for the fairer members of the species, which is making Him rather distractible. So, it looks like his endocrine system is keeping him from the bench, which would arguably be the safer place for him. Nature is a force to be reckoned with, for sure.

I'm slowly getting my 13 year old son involved. The problem is, he's got an iPhone 11 and is developing an eye for the fairer members of the species, which is making Him rather distractible. So, it looks like his endocrine system is keeping him from the bench, which would arguably be the safer place for him. Nature is a force to be reckoned with, for sure.
You could hook him up with any of the "Run & Gun" sports, or Clays, it will keep him interested and occupied. However, there is a downside. There WILL be girls there. They WILL get his attention. You WILL find yourself getting his stuff ready for a match, keeping up with everything, and begging him to help you load shells. The exact same thing is true if you have girls, only they are checking out the boys. There is no escape, and don't even ask how I know these things.... The only saving grace is you KNOW where they are, and you also know they will all behave, and learn valueable skills and lessons along the way. There are worse things for them to do and worse places to be for sure.

I let my little brother help put wads in shotshells. Then he put his finger in the cone and of course it was stuck good. He freaked out and my mom called the fire department to get his finger out. I know how easy it is to get fingers out now but I didn't know how back then. Had to buy some new parts after the fd was done with it.
Shep

Ive been trying with my son.Hes really good at SHOOTIN ammo.But not remaking it.Dad '' I only have 5 rounds to hunt with'' Cuz you know=he's busier than me
I think loading shells should be taught along with shooting. Link the two. Cannot go shoot without ammo. There are so many little things the little ones can do. Little hands are very good at sorting things, and there are lots of small noncritical things they can do to help. If you start this when it makes them feel big, you can integrate it before they figure out it is work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.