Have you had success getting Nosler ABLR bullets to group well?

I shoot the accubon a lot in all types of guns I would say like the other guy said clean it and try it dirty some times they may like it dirty depends on your barrel

If so please post your method. I've shot hundreds of these things in various calibers and I just cannot get them to produce what I consider an acceptable group. I really want to run these bullets because they should be an excellent hunting bullet and I get outstanding velocities with them in all my rifles. I just havent found the magic trick to good groups with these yet.

This is yesterday's example. 260AI with a 24" 7.5 twist Brux barrel. This barrel will hammer .25 MOA groups all day long with 140 Berger VLD hunting bullets. The shots below are (5) 5 round groups in a ladder increasing .3 grains at each target. The only one I deem even somewhat acceptable is the center target And I know the gun is much more capable than that.
I had to do a node test with them and found a good spot, but they are very finicky.

If so please post your method. I've shot hundreds of these things in various calibers and I just cannot get them to produce what I consider an acceptable group. I really want to run these bullets because they should be an excellent hunting bullet and I get outstanding velocities with them in all my rifles. I just havent found the magic trick to good groups with these yet.

This is yesterday's example. 260AI with a 24" 7.5 twist Brux barrel. This barrel will hammer .25 MOA groups all day long with 140 Berger VLD hunting bullets. The shots below are (5) 5 round groups in a ladder increasing .3 grains at each target. The only one I deem even somewhat acceptable is the center target And I know the gun is much more capable than that.
Better luck with the ABLR's in my 26 Nosler, 7mm STW, 30-378 and my 300 PRC than any of the Berger's I'm sub-MOA in all four rifles. They love speed and a slight jump. They do not like being crammed into or within 0.003 of the lans. This is 300 yds in my 26 Nosler. Calm day no wind 91 degrees low humidity. 142's at 3,424 fps using Retumbo 28" barrel

Attachments

• 22B46349-FA37-4C6F-AD4F-C4AB671A693D.jpeg
    22B46349-FA37-4C6F-AD4F-C4AB671A693D.jpeg
    637.4 KB · Views: 77
Better luck with the ABLR's in my 26 Nosler, 7mm STW, 30-378 and my 300 PRC than any of the Berger's I'm sub-MOA in all four rifles. They love speed and a slight jump. They do not like being crammed into or within 0.003 of the lans. This is 300 yds in my 26 Nosler. Calm day no wind 91 degrees low humidity. 142's at 3,424 fps using Retumbo 28" barrel
Yes they take much more work to find the sweet spot but once you do you can't beat them. Again mine spread out if you slow them down run them as fast as you can!

Hi there!
Have you thought about playing with the overall length? Seating the slug deeper or shallower?
Essentially that is what I did when I went from near the lands at less than .015" to a jump of just over .140". Once I found a sub moa OAL/jump in the are of .140" I settled there and called it quits. Perhaps going even shorter would have tightened my groups, I just never tried anything shorter. I liked it better at .140" because of magazine feed.

I couldn't get them to shoot in my 6.5PRC. Bugholes with 143 eldx loaded to max mag length (.050 off lands)., ADG brass Iirc ABLR have the same cbto as the eldx so .050 was the closest I could get them. Tried them out to .150 off in .020 increments. 57.0-59.0 H1000. ( Again running from memory sorry) Best group I could get was just over 1 moa and many much worse. Buddy had similar results with his 6.5 saum. Only tried them due to shortage of the 143 ELDX. Sticking with the Hornady. Great accuracy, quick load work up and a couple of 1 shot, dead within 50 yards whitetails.

I have 3 rifles that I've tried them in. 1 - 30-06, it didn't like the 165gr at all, 1.5"+ groups with different powders, primers, spacing, etc.

2 - 300 WSM that don't like them either, basically the same set up as above with the same results.

For me in my 30 cal guns I think it's a no go,
I have some in 7mm 150gr that I haven't tried yet. I hope they group better or I'll trade/sell them or use them for fouler shots, which is what the 30 cal is used for now.

I shoot them in a factory Remington 700 chambered in 7 mag, and have 0.5 MOA confirmed out to 600 yards.

The trick I found was that they like to be standing off around 0.120 from lands and The best groups are a couple hundred feet/ second below maximum.

Last edited:

I shoot a 300rsaum Remington 700. I reload. I shoot Noslers ABLR 190 GR. I could not be happier. I have even shot basically 3 rounds in a hole đź•ł. I guess you would have take my word. But, just for kicks....

Attachments

• 20210822_111753.jpg
    20210822_111753.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • 20210501_113418.jpg
    20210501_113418.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 20201101_094627.jpg
    20201101_094627.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200502_120010.jpg
    20200502_120010.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55

Yes, got them to shoot after burning a lot of powder and primers. Because I did not "read" what Nosler had to say about them. This use to be posted on their ABLR page even up to May 2020 when I linked to it. Its not there any more that I could find (probably removed from PR standpoint) BUT I still found it to be more true than not. When I loaded close to SAAMI, rifles did group better but I also had to be more selective of powder for case fill.

Nosler
TECHNICAL NOTE
*When loading the AccuBond®-LR bullet, Nosler ballisticians have found that loading to the maximum SAAMI cartridge overall length tends to provide best accuracy.

I got the 200 Nosler AB's to punch the same hole on many shots from my 30" Lothar Walther barrel in 300RUM but had a horrible time getting the 210 Nosler ABLR's to group until I went below SAAMI Spec's to 3.55". From everything I've read about Remington's design of this caliber, it was developed to have a significant jump in the bullet. Not a barrel friendly round, for sure!

Oddly th
Yes they take much more work to find the sweet spot but once you do you can't beat them. Again mine spread out if you slow them down run them as fast as you can!
Oddly on the target I attached that had the best accuracy that was at the starting load of my node testing. The faster I pushed them the more it opened up. I do agree they can be pushed fast. I've pushed the 30 caliber 168 to 2960fps in a 20" .308 with CFE223 powder.