Have you ever had a what the h--l shots?

I was hunting Montana for Mule Deer and had a doe tag left .We saw one up the valley and the guide ranged it at 505 yards.I got down on my bipod. Just as I started to pulled the trigger the leg on the bipod slipped as the gun went off.Knowing I missed I stood up .The guide slapped me on the back and said good shot.I looked up on the hill and there laid my doe.My friend and I walking up to the the doe and my friend said he saw dirt fly when I shot.Sure enough ten feet in front of the deer was a mark on a rock.It had hit the rock and caught the deer in the neck and dropped her.The guide said how was going to explain this one .I said every one can hit one straight on how many can bank one in
THIS is quality stuff! 👍

I was hunting Montana for Mule Deer and had a doe tag left .We saw one up the valley and the guide ranged it at 505 yards.I got down on my bipod. Just as I started to pulled the trigger the leg on the bipod slipped as the gun went off.Knowing I missed I stood up .The guide slapped me on the back and said good shot.I looked up on the hill and there laid my doe.My friend and I walking up to the the doe and my friend said he saw dirt fly when I shot.Sure enough ten feet in front of the deer was a mark on a rock.It had hit the rock and caught the deer in the neck and dropped her.The guide said how was going to explain this one .I said every one can hit one straight on how many can bank one in
Years ago when I was qualifying indoors for my carry permit there were 8 of us stationed side by side. When I fired my last shot I actually saw the glint of my bullet coming back out of the bullet trap & hitting my neighbor's paper target! Paul graded my shots & moved over to my neighbor's. He immediately reprimanded the boy for having one terrible shot! I went over & admitted that it was MY bullet hole. He began to chastise me (even though the bullet count confirmed both of our stories) before I said, "Look at the bullet hole Paul. It's punched from the wrong side!" We all laughed & he then added that he had seen that 2 other times.

Ok not a bow or firearm shot but still a crazy "hit"! I worked for a company that had an old brickyard long gone on property. I was walking an area for wetlands confirmation with an engineer to determine construction applicability when three deer blasted by us at 20' going like tails on fire. Here comes 3 coyotes, see us at 25' or so and spin around to get out of Dodge. I reach down and pick up old piece of 1/2 brick and make mighty heave that was big looping throw. It was like I was trying to make rain it was so high. Man it was so far off the mark it was embarrassing! Tim Tebow type pass... Until one yote decided to spin off to one side and stop to look back. Oops!

Smoked him right on top of head! OMG he went down like hit by brick ..., ok that was bad! We were yelling doing high fives and laughing crazy! Then yote got up staggered around bouncing off trees then wobbled out of sight. No idea what happened to him after that but can you imagine the talk? Gee I stopped for second and it all went black! I didn't hear a shot did you? This running deer gig is weird!

Wounded a gray squirrel with my scoped .22 my first shot one time, he took off like a scalded ape, he wasn't that far, maybe 30-40 yards, but was running full out. I swung and shot just as he jumped from one limb to another and the bullet caught him in the eye. Couldn't make that shot again in a hundred tries, but it was cool when it happened. No witnesses, no pictures lol.

When TX started allowing concealed carry I signed up for the mandatory class. When it came time to shoot we went to the range in groups of 5. One of the teachers worked for the county SO and his wife was in the class. She was next to me. Every time she shot the hot brass would bounce off of me. In spite of that I had a good center mass group going for the various ranges that we shot at. One of my shots seemed to hit twice. Once center mass and once high on the left shoulder of the target. My right in other words. On the next shot I waited for her to shoot and glanced over at her. Her shoulders were hunched, her eyes were closed, and the pistol was waving around when she shot. There weren't a lot of holes in her target. When her husband graded my target he asked me about the high shoulder shot. I told him that his wife shot my target and then explained what she was doing. He took her to the "back range" and gave her lessons. I'm sure she passed :/

And here's a practice target from the first time that I used the Mantis laser target system (I like it and the Mantis X). The guy with the knife was a friend of mine. I feel like I should have aimed a little more to the right. :D

p1432669191-5.jpg

I've had a few in my 60+years of shooting at, often making some miraculous misses, but resisted until seeing highfinblue's squirrel post…..which brought back an old memory. And I certainly don't want to tarnish his feat in any way!

I was about 15 years old, on a mixed - bag (anything that moves) with a little mixed breed cur dog and 3 uncles in Evangeline Parish, La.

I was the only one "not" using a shotgun as I had my Win. Model 88 .308 Win. and my little Browning Nomad 22 semi-auto pistol. We were only about a 1/4 mile north of my grandparents fence line with the dog treed. The squirrel was somewhere in a thick maze of vines in a tall slender tree. As my uncles circled the tree, so everyone could see a portion of the tree….I was getting the Browning clear of the holster!

The squirrel apparently was feeling exposed only about 25 feet up the tree, made a sprint up through the vines, headed for a better hiding place. I made a snap-shot before any of my uncles got off a shot with their "scatter guns"!

I'm not certain at who was more surprised, me, my uncles, or that "Cat Squirrel"……that took a 22 LR through the lungs and tumbled through the vines to the ground! memtb

I will mention one that is a little different, but definitely showed me how down right stubborn and resilient game can be. It was actually good shots that resulted in the amazement.

I was deer hunting with my dad. I shot a buck at 75 yards. Dropped like a sack of bricks. My dad was behind me on the trail so waited for him to catch up, so maybe 30 minutes. In this time the deer didn't even twitch.

When my dad got there, I finally walked up and was maybe 10 yards away and this thing sprung to life, ran about 30 yards and stopped. Shot him again, hit the ground no movement. Okay he's done….. but wait. After about 10 minutes he caught another wind and tried to get up. I made a head shot and done. When we opened him up both lungs were shredded and there was some damage to the heart, my guess is a few fragments hit it. The first 2 shots were clearly in the lungs and out the opposite side. How he was still moving with literally no lungs and a damaged heart, I still don't know. This certainly gave me an a different perspective on how tough these critters can be. It was probably adrenaline keeping him going.

took an off-hand shot at an English Sparrow. Can't recall which gun. I think it was a Coast-to-Coast bolt action, tube fed gun actually made by Savage. The bird fell and I stepped it off, it was a generous 100 yard shot. Picked up the bird. It was bald. The shot plucked it's head bald and gave it a fatal concussion, No blood at all. Dad watched me do it and I showed him the bird. He stepped off about 110 yards.

Years ago, I was stalking a mule deer in the fog and saw him about to go into a draw. The only shot I had was the back of his head at 40 or 50 yards. I was shooting a .58 caliber round ball out of a muzzleloader. I made an off hand shot and the deer had disappeared into the draw by the time the smoke cleared. I reloaded, and started slowing towards the draw. I looked up and the deer was walking towards me. I put another .58 roundball into his chest. It was a bit high and punched a hole throgh the backstrap. The first shot had gone in behind one ear an come out in front of it. Amazing that it didn't kill it, but it sure confused it.

A bunch of us were plinking off of a country bridge over the Brazos river. I was shooting A YOUTH MODEL 67 Winchester 22. We were on one end of the bridge and the river is about 100 yards wide. I saw s small bird (swallow, starling?) flying up the far bank and started tracking it. Never thinking I'd hit it I pulled the trigger and the little bird exploded. My friend's Dad had been watching me and started telling everyone about my great shot. I've always felt guilty about that bird.

Shot a groundhog last year. Dropped like a ton of bricks... Got up to it and it was still breathing- with a perfectly parted hair line on top of its head. Not sure if it had a broken neck or just concussed, but it didn't survive long after I got to it! The hair and skin was removed down to the bone. I'm sure it's not the first time it's happened, but was the first time it happened to me!

Told my buddy you have to be pretty good to hit it with less than half of your bullet diameter 😂