Have you ever had a bad barrel?

65joe

Has anyone ever gotten a bad barrel? What did the company do to make it right?
Did they admit it was the barrel? Were you satisfied with the final outcome?
Thanks

I've had a couple that didn't group well, but none that I could say were defective.

I have heard of others who have had barrels that were clearly defective and in most cases, the mfg made it right.

-- richard

i bought an olympic ar-15 243 wssm upper. the gun would not eject the spent shell, or if it did, the bolt wouldnt go back far enough for it to pick up the next round. I sent it back and they found out that the gasport was off of center by 9 degrees. they said that it burnt a hole in the gas block and they would have to replace both the gasblock and the barrel.

Well i got it back all i had to pay was shipping to them. the barrel was black when i sent it to them and the one i got back was a stainless steel grey color. I broke in the barrel and have been trying to work up a load for it. best group so far has been .58 at 100 yards. however, i havnt found a reliable load that i like so far. the spent brass is caked with powder residue and nicked pretty bad. factory and reloads alike.. not sure what this is from but is has been like that ever since i got it back from them.

photo.jpg

I've had a couple that didn't group well, but none that I could say were defective.

I have heard of others who have had barrels that were clearly defective and in most cases, the mfg made it right.

-- richard
By make it right: did they reimburse anything for the cost of chambering a new barrel?

In one case, some early rifles of a particular make left the factory with the rifling messed up. The maker replaced the barrels.

In other cases, folks have had their gunsmith "fix" or rebarrel a rifle without first contacting the manufacturer. They did not get compensated. Which is as I would expect.

I seriously doubt they would ever reimburse anything. Their obligation is to fix or replace their product.

-- richard

Yoshie, I am not familar at all with your rifle, but that does not look right at all. It looks like you have sever blow back in chamber, not sealing up, or timing. But it looks way wrong. I only have a few friend w/ar type and dont look anything like your picts.

I recieved a new barrel blank a few yrs back from a very respected barrel company.First thing I did was run the borescope down it (do it with all of them)and found excessive tool marking.Contacted them,got the OK to send it back and recieved a new one in two days with an apology that it even made it out the door.Dont take anything for granted.

Yoshie
The reason you are getting the soot on the casing is because there is a slight amount of pressure/powder in the barrel when the case is starting to be extracted. Get your self an adjustable gas block and tune it down a hair. Adjustable gas blocks allow you to tailor your rifle to your ammo and make a rifle cycle perfectly. I bet the cases come out piping hot too.
Nothing really wrong with it its just a little over gassed.

Most of the good barrel makers are doing it by hand and they make mistakes too. What are your symptoms?

Yoshie
The reason you are getting the soot on the casing is because there is a slight amount of pressure/powder in the barrel when the case is starting to be extracted. Get your self an adjustable gas block and tune it down a hair. Adjustable gas blocks allow you to tailor your rifle to your ammo and make a rifle cycle perfectly. I bet the cases come out piping hot too.
Nothing really wrong with it its just a little over gassed.

Most of the good barrel makers are doing it by hand and they make mistakes too. What are your symptoms?

Ok thanks I'll try that. I have cleaned it inside and out with my sonic cleaner and it still has that nasty blowback... Not bad at all on the first shot so what you have said makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help! (it's been 4 days since I've talked to Olympic and they still haunt gotten back to ma about what they will do to fix it... I'd suggest people to go with a D-Tech instead of Olympic!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.