Have to seat to cannelure?

SteelBanger

Grabbed some 55gr Hornady SP and started loading up a ladder this afternoon and when seating to the normal 2.25 COAL for AR mags it leaves the cannelure about .06 (if I remember right) above the case neck. I feel like I've read that's no big deal but thought I'd double check here. No big deal or is there a legitimate reason to go ahead and push them down to the middle of the cannelure?

There is a rule that says if you have a cannelure crimp at the cannelure. And then there is the rule that covers no cannelure.

I have a small machine that installes a cannelure meaning there is a benifit to having bullets without cannelure.

And then there is the company that said crimping could be a bad habit. I agree with the company that said crimping could loosen bullet hold; good news, I am the only reloader that uses bullet hold all the rest use tensions.

F. Guffey

It makes no difference where the cannelure ends up if you are not going to crimp with a conventional roll crimp. If you try to use a roll crimp with the cannelure not in the proper place yes it can cause a bulge or loosen bullet tension. Solve the problem of cannelure alinement by getting a Lee Factory Crimp Die and you can put a crimp with bullet sitting anyplace you want. Nobody needs to start a bashing party of the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It works for me and I am just stating a fact as to how it is designed to work.

One other thing is I bought some "blemished" 55 gr soft points from Midway a while back. They were Hornady and the only problem with them was that the cannelure was positioned a little off from the first line bullets. The "blemished" shot just as good as the first line.

Nobody needs to start a bashing party of the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It works for me and I am just stating a fact as to how it is designed to work.

RT2506, I have Lee factory crimp dies, I do not use them but I have them JIC (just in case). And I had no ideal you were so sensitive about the equipment you use. I do not care what brand of die, press, shell holder or seating die you use. I do not make excuses for the tools I use.

Lyman said crimping could be a bad habit, Dillon said crimping and seating at the same time could be a bad habit. It was about that time they suggested I purchase all new dies from them. I made it clear if I had to start over with new dies I did not need their press. It was about that time they told me it would be OK to use their press with my dies.

F. Guffey

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.