Have OK from BATF to make .58 U S Musket. Who makes barrels this size for smokeless?

owlhoot

BATF approved my project to make a single shot for the .58 U S Musket. This originally started out in 1866 as a rimfire for the Allin conversion of the 1863 Springfield. Brass is now available boxer primed.

2011 is the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the War Between the States. I would like to play with a rifle that shot the 500 gr Minie bullets, but without the mess of black powder and the muzzle loading feature. Velocity at the time of the War Between the States was around 950 ft/sec. "Long Range" was around 500 yds.

While I can find barrels with the correct bore and twist for black powder, I can't use them for a smokeless powder project. Must use modern steel.

So... anyone know a gunsmith who makes rifled barrels in .58 for smokeless?
The overall length of the .58 U S Musket is around 1 1/2". Base dia is .60" and rim dia is .72"

Re: Have OK from BATF to make .58 U S Musket. Who makes barrels this size for smokel

BATF approved my project to make a single shot for the .58 U S Musket. This originally started out in 1866 as a rimfire for the Allin conversion of the 1863 Springfield. Brass is now available boxer primed.

2011 is the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the War Between the States. I would like to play with a rifle that shot the 500 gr Minie bullets, but without the mess of black powder and the muzzle loading feature. Velocity at the time of the War Between the States was around 950 ft/sec. "Long Range" was around 500 yds.

While I can find barrels with the correct bore and twist for black powder, I can't use them for a smokeless powder project. Must use modern steel.

So... anyone know a gunsmith who makes rifled barrels in .58 for smokeless?
The overall length of the .58 U S Musket is around 1 1/2". Base dia is .60" and rim dia is .72"

somebody does! I know a guy that shoots a 69 caliber musket
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.