Have an issue the lyman re-sizeing/de-capping die.

Andy92

I just got brand new lyman die set for my 6.5 creedmoor and I adjust my de-capping/re-sizing die and it gets so hard to press down its insane, i can even get the primer out, its hornady brass from precision hunter ammo, ive de-capped lots of brass but am i missing something i never had this happen?

Attachments

• 20181021_190244.jpg
    20181021_190244.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 226
Remove the decapping rod and try sizing a case without any internal parts.
If the case resizes normally then install the expander/decapper assembly and lower until it will remover a primer.

My guess is you have the decapping rod adjusted too low and it is preventing the case from going further up into the die.

My second guess is you have a bad die, or a miss-marked die for another caliber.

As a side note I prefer Forster full length benchrest dies with their high mounted floating expander. These Forster full length dies produce very concentric cases with very little to no neck runout.

Remove the decapping rod and try sizing a case without any internal parts.
If the case resizes normally then install the expander/decapper assembly and lower until it will remover a primer.

My guess is you have the decapping rod adjusted too low and it is preventing the case from going further up into the die.

My second guess is you have a bad die, or a miss-marked die for another caliber.

As a side note I prefer Forster full length benchrest dies with their high mounted floating expander. These Forster full length dies produce very concentric cases with very little to no neck runout.

Yeah it wouldnt resize it without the internal parts

Yeah it wouldnt resize it without the internal parts

It should. The decapping rod and ball have nothing to do with the sizing of the case. Buy a decapper via eBay. Any brand will work. Deprime the cases in a separate step. Take the expander/decapping assembly out and hide it. Sizing and re-expanding the neck unnecessarily works the brass. When you seat the bullet it will expand the neck very nicely. As the other poster said, it might well be that die is not the correct one for the 6.5 CM.

If the decapping rod is not adjusted properly it can effect the sizing operation. If the expander is adjusted too low or too high you will have problems.

This is why I told the OP to remove the expander assembly and eliminate it from the sizing operation.

If the decapping rod is not adjusted properly it can effect the sizing operation. If the expander is adjusted too low or too high you will have problems.

This is why I told the OP to remove the expander assembly and eliminate it from the sizing operation.

Since the OP said that he's decapped lots of brass, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt about having the decapper rod properly positioned. Not sure what he meant by it wouldn't resize without the internal parts. Having the expander too high won't cause anything other than a failure to punch the primer out.

call lyman, the stamping on the die tells them there lot# , if they have had any other issues with that lot, you will have one in the mailbox in about 2 days, i bet.

plus youll have a brand new shiny fishing sinker !!

Better yet just order a non-bushing Forster full length die and Benchrest seater die. And you will make very concentric cases and loaded ammunition with very little bullet rounout.

Then when the Forster dies arrive use the Lyman die as a fishing weight.

Please notice below the Forster die produced "less" neck runout than a Redding type S bushing die. And if you think you need to have the Forster dies neck neck honed to your desired diameter it only cost $12.95

20181026_192547.jpg
20181026_192823.jpg
Better yet just order a non-bushing Forster full length die and Benchrest seater die. And you will make very concentric cases and loaded ammunition with very little bullet rounout.

Then when the Forster dies arrive use the Lyman die as a fishing weight.

Please notice below the Forster die produced "less" neck runout than a Redding type S bushing die. And if you think you need to have the Forster dies neck neck honed to your desired diameter it only cost $12.95

check this out bigedp51 , alot of the lyman dies will do the same thing you like about the forster dies

i borrowed a jam nut out of i think a rcbs 45acp set , which fits the threads on the lyman die , add your o-ring

sometime the threads will go past the neck if they dont that jam with a washer will raise it enough to get there

lyman may not be popular as some , but they got that right

Last edited:
Below is a image of the Forster resizing die and (W-10) Co-Ax Washer is the thick rubber washer that allows the expander to float and self center.

Y7Iyv8o.jpg

And below is my modified Redding full length die with the Forster expander installed. And it also has a rubber o-ring installed under the lock ring.

Also notice my die is not chewed up by slip joint pliers that never touch any of my dies.

kWbieba.jpg

Below is a image of the Forster resizing die and (W-10) Co-Ax Washer is the thick rubber washer that allows the expander to float and self center.

Y7Iyv8o.jpg

And below is my modified Redding full length die with the Forster expander installed. And it also has a rubber o-ring installed under the lock ring.

Also notice my die is not chewed up by slip joint pliers that never touch any of my dies.

kWbieba.jpg

I sometimes use pliers to loosen a die to remove it from the press. One can use brass pliers which is what many gunsmiths use when pliers are needed or just take a strip of cardboard and wrap it around the knurled area BEFORE GENTLY applying the ChannelLocks.

Soft rubber jawed pliers set on my reloading bench (if needed) from my days working on aircraft.
I use Lee die lock rings and place o-rings under the expander lock nut so the die and expander floats. And they are only finger tight with reference marks and never use steel jawed pliers.

O-Rings on Dies May Reduce Run-Out
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/reloading/o-rings-on-dies-may-reduce-run-out/

Crescent 52910N A-N Connector Pliers, 10-Inch
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00170RES8/?tag=lrhmag19-20

71W850WD1SL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.