Have a question and comment regarding Peterson 280AI brass

Carlos88

Bought a box of brass from Graf's a couple of months ago. Ran them through my Redding AI FL dies and reloaded with 140 TTSX bullets.

Is it normal to have almost zero runout with this brass? On new unfired brass? I took 5 cartridges from the batches. Each were in the .001-.002 range. To say I was astonished would be a huge understatement.

What is your experience with this brass?

I probably purchased 200 pcs at the same time from Graf's. Very impressed and satisfied with results. I'm on 3rd firing with 50 pcs and very little trimming. I don't measure run out and have not annealed. Shooting near max loads. Performed excellent in the field. I used Nosler prior and hit and miss with mostly good. Primer pickets loosen earlier with Nosler. No telling when next available batch coming. I'm trying to go easy on Petersen, so still using Nosler on some loads.

I got 500 280AI case from Graf's awhile back. It took sometime to get them. I email Peterson and they advise as to when the case were coming out. They were petty close to that date, but at the same time I had them order for about 8 months too. I don't know how a big of a run Peterson made, but you can't fine them now. I have gotten some Lapua brass too, but only here and there. One thing for sure it take time now to get everything inline to reload presently. Peterson case lengths varied some. So I trim them out of the box to length. I cut the necks for thickness out of the box before anything else. I thinned the necks to .013, and still a little tight. Having to go to .0125. I wondered at the time of ordering the reamer, if it wasn't a little tight. (Live and learn, and first time having tighter neck chamber, and wildcat too) This was the first test firing. Necking the case down. was a learning cure too. I have reduced cases for a great many years, but nothing like this. Having to step down 4 times to keep from crushing the case. So I lost 3 cases in getting the steps to reduce the neck size. I am using Redding bushing die's. I now have 4 280AI bushing dies on hand. Set up with a bushing in each die to do the reduced sizing of the necks in line. Can't be done in one step, or I couldn't get it done in one step to reduce the neck to .241ID (or that what I felt). I haven't gotten to just which bushing I am going to use for final ID. I had order out bushing for the dies, and order out more for the final sizing. Presently unsure as to spring back on the necks for bullet tension. Those additional bushing are now on back order.
It seem to me that everything is on back order anymore. Full steam ahead!

I got 500 280AI case from Graf's awhile back. It took sometime to get them. I email Peterson and they advise as to when the case were coming out. They were petty close to that date, but at the same time I had them order for about 8 months too. I don't know how a big of a run Peterson made, but you can't fine them now. I have gotten some Lapua brass too, but only here and there. One thing for sure it take time now to get everything inline to reload presently. Peterson case lengths varied some. So I trim them out of the box to length. I cut the necks for thickness out of the box before anything else. I thinned the necks to .013, and still a little tight. Having to go to .0125. I wondered at the time of ordering the reamer, if it wasn't a little tight. (Live and learn, and first time having tighter neck chamber, and wildcat too) This was the first test firing. Necking the case down. was a learning cure too. I have reduced cases for a great many years, but nothing like this. Having to step down 4 times to keep from crushing the case. So I lost 3 cases in getting the steps to reduce the neck size. I am using Redding bushing die's. I now have 4 280AI bushing dies on hand. Set up with a bushing in each die to do the reduced sizing of the necks in line. Can't be done in one step, or I couldn't get it done in one step to reduce the neck to .241ID (or that what I felt). I haven't gotten to just which bushing I am going to use for final ID. I had order out bushing for the dies, and order out more for the final sizing. Presently unsure as to spring back on the necks for bullet tension. Those additional bushing are now on back order.
It seem to me that everything is on back order anymore. Full steam
It seem to me that everything is on back order anymore. Full steam ahead!
What caliber was the Lapua brass? I have Lapua for my 7-08 and has been very good so far. I have approx 4 firings on Lapua and cases still look good.

f the guys at Peterson are shooters. They understand what is needed. I've toured their factory and the level of quality control is through the roof. Every single piece of brass that comes out of there has been inspected ad nauseum. They truly strive for perfection. I've never used any brass that was as consistent throughout as Peterson. And they stand behind their product. If you have an issue with something, they want to know.

I have been on the "notify" list for a month or two for Peterson 280ai. I hope the do a production run soon. I guess I could buy some Nosler @ $110 per box, but I am still praying for Peterson to come through before the rifle is finished.

I have been on the "notify" list for a month or two for Peterson 280ai. I hope the do a production run soon. I guess I could buy some Nosler @ $110 per box, but I am still praying for Peterson to come through before the rifle is finished.
They did there production run last Oct or early Nov. On the market Graf in Dec or so. Received in late Dec or just after that. I did see Peterson 280AI cases at Brownell today. They have also CCI BR-2 for $139.00 plus shipping and Hazmat, which it put them at about $160.00 th.