Have 50 cal to dispose of

jimisbell

A little missleading, but true. I have 150 rounds of BMG 50 cal ammo but nothing to shoot it in. I want to build a rifle...probably single shot bolt action.... of quality that I will be proud of the groups at 2 miles. Nothing fancy, just a way into that level of shooting. (currently have a Savage 112 in 338 Lapua).
What are some inexpensive (I know, "nothing is inexpensive in this sport"....) suggestions for getting rid of my ammo?

Are you looiking to a trade or just to reduce your inventory?
A little missleading, but true. I have 150 rounds of BMG 50 cal ammo but nothing to shoot it in. I want to build a rifle...probably single shot bolt action.... of quality that I will be proud of the groups at 2 miles. Nothing fancy, just a way into that level of shooting. (currently have a Savage 112 in 338 Lapua).
What are some inexpensive (I know, "nothing is inexpensive in this sport"....) suggestions for getting rid of my ammo?
I am now partical to a 338LM Ai. Jill and I have been rearching for quite a while. Takes us up to a year to determine the caliber and start the build.
What happened to your 50 BMG? Our lathe can make up to 2" barrels so a 50 is no problem.

Kirby Allen gunsmith,has 510 Allen mag,along with many others he developed.Been a member here for looong time.Know as 50 driver.Thats his 50 bmg version lot of experiance with it

I never had a 50 BMG. I just came into this ammo a while back and started thinking it would be nice if I could shoot it. Right now its a door stop. Not looking for a trade. Just looking for a gun. Can build it myself or buy someones offering. Probably not a new gun or a gunsmith build....I am a gunsmith but not at this level. And dont want to spend more than I have to.

Last edited:
Honest opinion trade it away for some 338 Lapua or something else you want and save yourself getting into 50 BMG. It's expensive to get into the 50 BMG game and most ppl I know who have just don't shoot them because of cost. JMHO but take it for what it's worth.

I never had a 50 BMG. I just came into this ammo a while back and started thinking it would be nice if I could shoot it. Right now its a door stop.
Well sir you can always donate them to us and I wll be their guarding. If in the furure some one will pay for the I will sent you the money. I will also pay for you to ship to us and store tha ammo. Read all our posts We will be fair in all aspects. It will cost us time money, but just willing to help out. PM us if this is an option for you.
Thanks and God Bless
Len & Jll

Well, I am free to do what I want now, retired, 84, widowed by COVID, and need something to do. I figure I can add to my gunsmithing knowledge by putting a Mauser 98 action on a custom barrell and stick it in a M1903 stock and have some fun till the ammo runs out....then start reloading the fired cases. Maybe....but I am not that smart ......yet....

Well, I am free to do what I want now, retired, 84, widowed by COVID, and need something to do. I figure I can add to my gunsmithing knowledge by putting a Mauser 98 action on a custom barrell and stick it in a M1903 stock and have some fun till the ammo runs out....then start reloading the fired cases. Maybe....but I am not that smart ......yet....
Sir first of all we are soo sorry for your loss, it has to be extremely hard without your wife. We assume that You are still really healthy and enthused to build rifles. Jill and I have a complete state of the art Gunsmithing and Cerakoting shop that we are in the process of opening up. I think that if you still want to shoot ELR the 338Lm is for you. I you want a larger caliber (50)BMG our lathes will hande up to and over 2" bore. Jill and I are currently building several calibers - 6mm Br **, 6.5X284 and for 2023 a 338 LM Ai. You could join us if you want. You pay for your materials and we will do the work.

Thnaks Len & Jill

Last edited:
Just track down an Armalite AR-50 if you're looking for a "reasonably priced" BMG to play around with. They're capable of some very impressive accuracy with quality ammo, even better with the National Match model. I paid $2K for the last one I had and didn't have any trouble selling it for the same price when I got bored with it.

Pour it down a manhole???

Sir first of all we are soo sorry for your loss, it has to be extremely hard without your wife. We assume that You are still really healthy and enthused to build rifles. Jill and I have a complete state of the art Gunsmithing and Cerakoting shop that we are in the process of opening up. I think that if you still want to shoot ELR the 338Lm is for you. I you want a larger caliber (50)BMG our lathes will hande up to and over 2" bore. Jill and I are currently building several calibers - 6mm Br **, 6.5X284 and for 2023 a 338 LM Ai. You could join us if you want. You pay for your materials and we will do the work.

Thnaks Len & Jill
Len,
I applaud you for reaching out to Jimisbell as you have. I am curious about what lathes you use. I am thinking about getting one and would like some advice on what lathes are precise enough for extreme accuracy.
Thanks,
Bob

Jim,

I have a Barret m99 single shot and some ammo that i have minimal opportunity to put to use if that is something you might be interested in.