Hate to Do This: 6.5 CM vs 6.5 PRC

I bought a CM cause it was cheap and I wanted to try one having to lay out a bunch of money. It's decent within its limitations and I like the ability to use heavier bullets with its faster twist, but if I carry a 6.5 on a deer hunt, I reach for my 6.5 RM which is a proven deer slayer with a good 120 grain bullet. So, my vote is for the PRC for huntin and the CM for long range target shooting. I don't believe that the difference in recoil is relavent. IMO

Not even considering the .260rem? Pretty excellent performance, and you got Lapua brass; not to mention the ability to neck down any .308win case you might find in-stock somewhere.

Pretty simple to have your existing barrel rechambered while you await that custom blank and all the gunsmithing that goes with a rebarrel... Or maybe you can find a .260rem chambered Sako TRG-22 or a heavy barreled varmint? The Tikka varmint and tactical rifles are also very capable.

Versatility would seem to be more important than ever in today's world of rifle shooting. How're you set for components? I liked the 6mm intl AI because it was doable with .22-250 brass and was about .001" longer in case capacity than the Tubb ctg that was the rage 10yrs ago. Might be another option in 6.5mm if looking for a target accuracy round. Nice to be able to use standard brass if day ever comes when components are hard to get.

Not even considering the .260rem? Pretty excellent performance, and you got Lapua brass; not to mention the ability to neck down any .308win case you might find in-stock somewhere.

Pretty simple to have your existing barrel rechambered while you await that custom blank and all the gunsmithing that goes with a rebarrel... Or maybe you can find a .260rem chambered Sako TRG-22 or a heavy barreled varmint? The Tikka varmint and tactical rifles are also very capable.

Versatility would seem to be more important than ever in today's world of rifle shooting. How're you set for components? I liked the 6mm intl AI because it was doable with .22-250 brass and was about .001" longer in case capacity than the Tubb ctg that was the rage 10yrs ago. Might be another option in 6.5mm if looking for a target accuracy round. Nice to be able to use standard brass if day ever comes when components are hard to get.
There was a point when I'd have chose the .260 over the 6.5CM. Today it's more of a toss up. Having a .260 while shooting with friends having the 6.5CM, it's almost a level playing field today. Kinda like the 6.5-284 vs the 6.5 PRC. So close it's not even worth comparing. Today it's just a matter of what you like (personal preference). There literally twins.

Now, if elk is on the menu and you believe in the traditional guestimate of 1,600 ft-lbs for elk the PRC extends your range. Factory Hornady precision hunter ammo puts the creedmoor at 1658 ft-lbs at 300 yards and the PRC at 1,604 ft-lbs
the creed will cleanly kill ELK out to 550 yards
my wife killed her 6x7 bull elk @515 yards last fall with a 143 eld x out of a 6.5 cm it went 35 yards and fell over dead
i don't believe the 1500 ft pnds to kill an elk /1000 ft pnds for deer mantra never will, we have killed to many big game animals in 35+yrs of hunting with a 280AI and the 6.5 cm in the last 10 yrs at ranges i know the bullet wasn't carrying close to 1000 /1500 ft lbs never needed a second shot and none went farther then 50- 70 yards before tipping over dead