Hate to Do This: 6.5 CM vs 6.5 PRC

As pretty much everyone said, the CM is awesome for what you need and then some! Ive had 2) 6.5 CMs, a 22" and a 26" and now have 1) 6.5 PRC 22".
The PRC is way more gun. I am talking bout reloads. I can push the same bullets easily 200 fps + faster in the 22" PRC than the 26" CM. This is with a few powders using book data or at least book data with same weight n type bullet, (not much PRC data out yet)
Recoil/muzzle jump is absolutely in a different class.
And right now PRC brass is unavailable and has been for months every time i looked. You already have the CM, i say they make a good team!

I will say that I think bullet choice and placement have more to do with success than the cartridge. For example in my creedmoor I use two different bullets and one is way more capable at long range but the other is much tougher.
Sierra 130HPBT Gameking is pretty tough and I got an exit with a posterior shoulder shot with a impact velocity of 2768 (45yds)- I really think this is the limit for this bullet but it was DRT performance and made a mess of the heart and lungs.
Sierra 130TGK Gamechanger is not quite as tough but produces emphatic kills with my closest deer being shot quartering-to at 75yds leaving an exit.

The major difference is the HPBT gameking hits minimum expansion velocity threshold at about 500 yds and the TGK at 700 yds

In short the cartridges inside of 500yds are really only going to differ by bullet construction. 300 FPS is a considerable difference but not so much on small bodied whitetail.

Posting this thread is like calling into the radio station to request Stairway to Heaven but I'm interested in ideas.

I've been very impressed with my Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's my new favorite caliber. Well typical of me could there be something even better? Well there is the 6.5 PRC.

For a whitetail hunting cartridge from 10-500 yards, is there really going to be a appreciable benefit going from the 6.5 CM to the 6.5 PRC? I really like the easy recoil of the 6.5 CM. I can stay on target through the scope. Also the 6.5 CM ammo is readily available.

I'm leaning on staying with the Creedmoor but hey I'm an enthusiast.
2/2 both bucks dropped on the spot with the Precision Hunter 143 grain ELD-X
I have a bolt-action 6.5 PRC. (Mossberg Patriot Predator Strata - Cerakote, with Boyds laminate wood stock.)
And the 6.5 Creedmoor AR upper that sits on the 308 lower and uses the same magazines.
Both have 24-inch barrels.
I still have yet to see what they can really do. :D

QUOTE:
"In October 2017, U.S. Special Operations Command tested the performance of the 7.62x51 NATO, .260 Remington, and 6.5 CM cartridges out of SR25, M110A1, and Mk20 sniper rifles. SOCOM determined that the 6.5CM performed the best, doubling hit probability at 1,000 meters (italics mine) increasing effective range by nearly half, reducing wind drift by a third and having less recoil than the 7.62 NATO rounds…"

Last edited:
Most of us or at least many want the best performance we can't get from a cartridge. The CM has limitations as does the 6.5-284. 26 Nosler pushes to the next level then there's lots of big case 6.5 wildcats that'll get you pumped up just from the numbers. In reality, what do you want it for. Sounds like the CM gets it done. At least seeing your harvest pics it does. The thing the 6.5-284 will give you is the same velocities as the CM only on idle mode. Compressed 6.5 CM loads will get you into the mild 6.5-284 loads. I run mine at 2975 and am on roughly 1800 rds on the current barrel. I've run up to 3100 with 140s but no need. At 2975-3000 I get .2" groups to 600 and .5" to 1200. Personally I'd stick with the CM unless your replacing a barrel. Once that's the case, I say try out the PRC or 6.5-284

Posting this thread is like calling into the radio station to request Stairway to Heaven but I'm interested in ideas.

I've been very impressed with my Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's my new favorite caliber. Well typical of me could there be something even better? Well there is the 6.5 PRC.

For a whitetail hunting cartridge from 10-500 yards, is there really going to be a appreciable benefit going from the 6.5 CM to the 6.5 PRC? I really like the easy recoil of the 6.5 CM. I can stay on target through the scope. Also the 6.5 CM ammo is readily available.

6.5 Creed vs. 6.5PRC = 30-06 vs. 300Win.

1607103226700.png

Reasons to go PRC over Creedmoor (in my opinion)

1. To shoot steel at ranges further than the Creedmoor
2. To get a little extra range than the Creedmoor on game
3. Because you like having a bigger cartridge (and there's nothing wrong with that)

Reasons to go Creedmoor over PRC (in my opinion)

1. It has less recoil. No flinch means better precision on your part.
2. It's cheaper to shoot, and more widely available.
3. It's absolutely plenty for most North American game under 500 yards, and you don't really need more than it unless you're hunting bear or something large like that.

Make your decision based on those factors and you'll be happy no matter which you choose.

P

Stairway to Heaven is always nice to listen to...