Hate to Do This: 6.5 CM vs 6.5 PRC

General RE LEE

Posting this thread is like calling into the radio station to request Stairway to Heaven but I'm interested in ideas.

I've been very impressed with my Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's my new favorite caliber. Well typical of me could there be something even better? Well there is the 6.5 PRC.

For a whitetail hunting cartridge from 10-500 yards, is there really going to be a appreciable benefit going from the 6.5 CM to the 6.5 PRC? I really like the easy recoil of the 6.5 CM. I can stay on target through the scope. Also the 6.5 CM ammo is readily available.

I'm leaning on staying with the Creedmoor but hey I'm an enthusiast.
2/2 both bucks dropped on the spot with the Precision Hunter 143 grain ELD-X

Attachments

• AF2A9D0E-4D19-43AE-9C41-E0FD0FBA9AAE.jpeg
    AF2A9D0E-4D19-43AE-9C41-E0FD0FBA9AAE.jpeg
    715.5 KB · Views: 861
  • D7233930-8DB3-42D7-A074-0E8D5161BC0F.jpeg
    D7233930-8DB3-42D7-A074-0E8D5161BC0F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,386
I think 10~500 on deer is right in the CM's wheelhouse. PRC would hit a little harder but shot placement is probably more important. Heard PRC ammo and components are hard to come by. Also heard a few folks have had brass sizing issues with the 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC. There is a thread on here about it.

I would probably get a different rifle in 6.5 PRC and play with it. Only way to know if you like it for sure. You would have to change the bolt face on your existing rifle....

Those are a couple nice bucks and nice shot placement too!

Gonna go make some popcorn now.

I have a Creedmoor I shoot targets with and a PRC I hunt with (mostly mule deer, occasional cow tags). If it was whitetail only at those ranges, creedmoor all the way. Especially if you already have a rifle and especially if you reload. Recoil would be the only difference in the field, both are going to kill deer the same.

I'm getting 3,060 with 140's in my PRC with a mild load of H1000. With Sierra max load of IMR4451 the creedmoor is giving me mid 2800's with 140's. Both out of 26" barrels.

Creedmoor gives you lower costs all around, better barrel life, and less recoil which equals more practice. I'm looking at getting a second barrel for my hunting rifle to practice with so I don't burn out my expensive PRC barrel too quickly.

Now, if elk is on the menu and you believe in the traditional guestimate of 1,600 ft-lbs for elk the PRC extends your range. Factory Hornady precision hunter ammo puts the creedmoor at 1658 ft-lbs at 300 yards and the PRC at 1,604 ft-lbs at 500 yards.

agree with other posters here. Rock what ya got :) I actually based my scope choice for my creedmoor on a 600 yard max. The reticle and power get me there perfectly but no further. The gun is basically dedicated to shooting those ranges at deer as I personally believe that is where the creed belongs. for clarity my Rifle is a Kimber Montana, Scope is a Vortex Razor LH 2-10x40 with the G-4 reticle. It has been a great fit for the cartridge and only weighs 6 lbs 6 oz ready to shoot

You are fine. Like stated above my creed is built to hunt out to 600 yards. 124gr hammers have done the job fantastic. I was shooting the 147eld and 143 eldx but for my distance the lighter bullet seemed to be the better option.
Can't wait to see what I can get out of the absolute hammers. Not that it will extend my range of the creed but I like the bit more speed as for most your hunting ranges it will be flatter.

Ok you're starting to hit true rifle looney stage! Take your Tikka 270 if you want more than the creed. Unless you want to stay with 6.5, then the PRC gives you another 100 yards or more over the creed.

Sold the Tikka .270 to a friend that proceeded to miss 2 deer with his Thompson Center Encore .270.

Posting this thread is like calling into the radio station to request Stairway to Heaven but I'm interested in ideas.

I've been very impressed with my Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's my new favorite caliber. Well typical of me could there be something even better? Well there is the 6.5 PRC.

For a whitetail hunting cartridge from 10-500 yards, is there really going to be a appreciable benefit going from the 6.5 CM to the 6.5 PRC? I really like the easy recoil of the 6.5 CM. I can stay on target through the scope. Also the 6.5 CM ammo is readily available.

I'm leaning on staying with the Creedmoor but hey I'm an enthusiast.
2/2 both bucks dropped on the spot with the Precision Hunter 143 grain ELD-X
I have both. I liked the Creedmoor so much I bought the same rifle in PRC later. For deer you won't find any appreciable increase from the PRC over the Creedmoor. I hunt deer in Elk country, I do like the extra distance I can shoot and maintain velocity for clean kill over the Creedmoor, but the Creedmoor would have been more than sufficient if I wasn't chasing a little more speed. (I killed an elk at 600 with the Creedmoor and 127 LRX)

Creedmoor ammo is more widely available (especially now) and you are right that the recoil of a Creedmoor is a fair bit lower than the PRC.
I have 2 Creedmoors and one PRC...

both are great.

I have both and 6.5-284. For deer and 500 and less like you describe I'd stick with the creed. The prc is only going to get there quicker but the difference isn't that much at that range. In the creed you still have the fps to make the bullet perform and energy is still plenty high.

I can tell you that the PRC is not just a little more than a creed, it's a lot more. I am 300 fps more running similar barrel lengths, same brand, twist, etc. That is 13 grains more powder.

200 fps more with the same bullet, is it worth it to you? If so buy another rifle and have fun. Keep your Tikka because it appears to work well for you.