Rhunter2

I am very interested in this bipod. I don't shoot competitively, i just hunt. I know the Hatch is a bit heavy but it appears to cover everything from sitting to prone. I don't see another pod that does that without adding pieces. How stable is this bipod? I am a bit leary that they could give you this much manipulation and not effect stability. I looked at the Cyke bipod but the height does not allow a sitting shot. It would be ideal to have one system for all of these positions. However, i dont want to spend $350-500 and figure out that i would have been better off to pick up a used Atlas for $200 and carry my steady stix for sitting shots.

Hatch is amazing. I have used it several cow elk hunts in WY. Taken shots over 500 while sitting and over 600 when prone. Super fast to deploy.

I also love the quick on and off. I usually keep it in my pack and add as needed given how quick it is to put on.

jjw
ND

Hatch is amazing. I have used it several cow elk hunts in WY. Taken shots over 500 while sitting and over 600 when prone. Super fast to deploy.

I also love the quick on and off. I usually keep it in my pack and add as needed given how quick it is to put on.

jjw
ND
So how stable is that platform when the legs are set to a taller position and spread wide?

Hatch is awesome. I had the javelin and switched and don't regret it. It's fast to deploy and stable. Longest shot I've taken was while sitting at 450 on a coyote. Worked great.

Like I said.....it was stable enough for a 500 yrd shot. I would rather have been probe but the sage prevented that.

As long as your stable expectation is relative to any light weight bipod construction you will get in this class of bipod...you will not be disappointed

jjw
ND

I did not notice initially that the Hatch does not pan. I don't think that i want a bipod that does not allow that. When i coyote hunt, most of the time my rifle is hanging over a terrace and i have to move some to get on target. I think that would be very difficult to accomplish without the panning feature. I wish the Cyke was a little taller. Right now, i think i will look for an Atlas PRS and buy the extensions. Really didn't want to go the extension route but i cant find another bipod that does everything with them. Am i missing something on the panning feature? I see a lot of competition shooters dont want that but i think it is beneficial in a hunting bipod. Thoughs?

Bipods that pan, can cause follow through issues when the rifle is no longer straight with legs. It causes the recoil of the rifle to no longer come straight back and rather off kilter a little. I agree there is a time and place for a panning feature but I've been moving away from it more and more. The Hatch is amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything out there that pans...just pick the front of the rifle up and move it where you need it, it's not much slower than anything with a panning feature and gives you a more precise shot follow through.

I have the Hatch too. And I really like it. I've tried many other options. For me, this is far and away the best I've come across for both hunting and general field use. You can go from prone to sitting positions in seconds. Very stable. I made a sitting shot on an elk this fall at 450 yards and was steady as a rock. I've shot steel to 700 sitting with first round hits as well. Just support the butt of your rifle (I use a Bipod Buddy) and long distance sitting shots are no problem. The unit is well built, robust and easily removed/reinstalled on a small pic rail. If you're not using it it is light weight and easily fits in your backpack. Most bipods seem to be built for bench/competitive type shooting first with hunting use being secondary. The Hatch is the reverse of this. For hunting use, I think it's the bomb.

The hatch bipod is all I use. I have rails on all my rifles from my 22lr up to my 300 prc. It's the ultimate bipod for anything hunting related. It works pretty well off of a bench too. I have taken shots out to 2,000 yards with it prone and also kill a good number of coyotes with it sitting. It's the only bipod I've ever seen that will go from around 3.5" up to 27" ish inches.

Attachments

• C78AAFD7-D004-437B-9EF7-676611145CC4.jpeg
    C78AAFD7-D004-437B-9EF7-676611145CC4.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 216
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.