Has the 6.5prc peaked in interested?

Following thread closely...I for one like what Browning "xbolts" have in the 6.5 PRC. Thinking of taking the plunge myself!!
Do it! I went with the CA BA Tactical, but looked closely at the xbolt (I have one in 270wsm and love it). Browning is a great company - one of the few companies that has their ear to the ground and seems to cater to the long range community.

FC6991F8-F636-4E1E-B164-69507A9686F2.jpeg

To me the Creedmoor is a very practical round, low recoil, good barrel life, easy to shoot accurately, a fast twist and useful bullet weight range. The 6.5PRC seems to be closer to a .270wsm just with slightly higher BC bullets. More recoil and a barrel burner. I prefer 7mm or 30cal magnums, 7mm has a better bullet weight range than a 6.5, a 7mm 162gr will do anything a 6.5 147gr will and a 180gr will do more

Honestly I used to be really into reloading but since my max distance is now limited to 500 yards and my time is limited I just don't want to reload anymore.
I understand that. If you don't reload then I would suggest go to Hornady website and see what they have available and start from there. No sense of looking at a new caliber gun if nobody makes Ammo for it. If you feel the 6.5 Creedmoor falls short than just get a 7 mag or 270 Win. Good factory ammo is everywhere for those 2. Get the 140 - 150 grain in either and your set.

a 7mm 162gr will do anything a 6.5 147gr will and a 180gr will do more

This is so hard to quantify tho, especially when you are hunting. For example, I have killed elk with everything from a 25-06 to a 300 RUM using berger bullets. All the kills were the same, one or two staggering steps and dead. Did the 215gr do more than the 115gr berger? I didn't notice a difference. So I have turned into a 6.5 supporter. They kill just as well as any 7mm or 30 cal I have owned without the punishment.

I'm going out today and bury my .338 you can't shoot a deer with it because
the whole deer would probably disappear in a cloud of foam.
Zeke

Actually the 338 will do very well on deer. The bullets are well designed and a deer doesn't offer enough resistance to explode a bullet. Even though most of it's energy will pass on through the deer, it will transfer enough energy to take him down. Also there is little meat loss with the bigger bullets.

I have shot white Tails with everything from a 22/250 to a 458 Win Mag. even shot one with my 416 just to see what it would do. The deer swapped ends but hit the ground and again meat damage was minimal. In fact meat damage has been worse with the high velocity small caliber cartridges.

Try it and if you don't like the results move on. I sometimes hunt deer and hogs and an occasional Coyote with a 338 RCM using 200 and 225 grain bullets and it is a hammer.

J E CUSTOM

I am 70 years old. This is just my opinion and is only worth that nothing more. In my experience using 6.5, the .264 Win Mag is more than satisfactory for mule deer and elk, while the 6,5x55 SE is more than satisfactory for deer, even mule deer. However this is "Long Range Hunting & Shooting". So I suspect that these choices will fall far short of the current threshold.
Sir you are spot on. I'm in my mid 40s and my grandfather thought me plenty before he past at 98 years old. One thang he thought me is if it isn't broke then don't fix it. 264 Win Mag can take anything my 260 Rem can but with much better authority. Iv taken coyote over 1000 yards with it. Deer over 700 yards and a 290 lb hog at 997 yards. If I had a 6.5 Win Mag I'd hunt elk moose bear deer everything. Why? Cause I all ready do it with my 260 Rem.

47C68129-E2D8-4E4F-B9F1-7877B6D2823F.jpeg
Following thread closely...I for one like what Browning "xbolts" have in the 6.5 PRC. Thinking of taking the plunge myself!!

Shot my hells canyon long range for the first time today, shot good with factory match ammo. First group and wasn't even trying that hard. This was shots 2-4 while doing the one shot and clean break in.

I don't want to start a war on cartridges i.e. I don't need to hear why a 6.5 prc when xyz cartridge already exists. The reason why is there really is not a high velocity (magnum) 6.5 round which is super popular where ammo is readily available at stores. I am just curious if the 6.5 prc has already peaked in interest? I have become a fan of 6.5 caliber sized bullets for deer hunting. Smaller bullets for less recoil but still enough oomph(when properly selecting bullets) to take down large whitetails. I have been back and forth on getting a 6.5 prc. I know it does not really offer much more than already existing cartridges in performance but I was hoping Hornady was going to pull off another 6.5cm popular round because then ammo types and availability goes up. I wanted a flatter shooting version of a 6.5cm and it seemed like the 6.5 prc was going to be it. So what are your thoughts? Do you think the 6.5 prc has already peaked in interest or do you think it still has a chance to keep climbing?
I think it will get at least a little more popular. Its a very good deer round.

This is so hard to quantify tho, especially when you are hunting. For example, I have killed elk with everything from a 25-06 to a 300 RUM using berger bullets. All the kills were the same, one or two staggering steps and dead. Did the 215gr do more than the 115gr berger? I didn't notice a difference. So I have turned into a 6.5 supporter. They kill just as well as any 7mm or 30 cal I have owned without the punishment.
Sure, less recoil but the high B.C 180s will still have less wind drift which which is the least predictable variable when looking for a first round hit.

If choosing between the two cartridges the 6.5 CM or the 6.5x47 which one would you pick? I know little about the 6.5x47 but it does appear there is a following of the 6.5x47 cartridge over the 6.5 CM...the plus sides of both.
Very very accurate. I have 364 rounds down the tube and I am yet to shoot a group greater than 1/2 inch at 100. That is with shooting 130 grain and 140 grain Bergers. Usually it is in the .2 or .3s.

Sure, less recoil but the high B.C 180s will still have less wind drift which which is the least predictable variable when looking for a first round hit.
Meh - I can live with a .351 and less recoil. I spend a lot of time banging steel out to 1250 with all sorts of different winds. I don't really notice much of a difference between my 270 wsm and the 145gr eldx and the 6.5 prc shooting 143gr eldx even tho there is what some would consider a material difference in BCs.

This is my opinion and observations. with regards to the boat loads of 6.5 wizz-bang cartridges being developed and those already out there. I am personally in awe of all these cartridges that are being developed and a myriad of them are basically the same, nothing special; the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 CM are basically worked over 260 Rems. 6.5 Grendel is the unique one but basically a cartridge that is best left to the CQB or target range (slug range too light for any serious hunting). the older cartridges like the 264 Win Mag, the 6.5-06, 6.5X55 Belgium, and 6.5X57 Mauer are serious hunting cartridges and are great and mostly forgotten about due to just being older. now we get to the cartridges that I am just learning about 6.5 SAUM, 6.5-300 Win Mag, 6.5-7MM Weatherby Mag, 6.5-284 Win, 6.5-7MM Rem Mag (wildcat that is standardized as the 264 Winchester...) and others. It seems if the case have been made and can handle a 6.5 slug they have made wildcat cases for the 6.5MM/0.264" projectile. We are always evolving cartridges for specific uses, some target, some combat, some for hunting, even fewer are for the long range stuff. I personally do not see the use of the 6.5 class of cartridges, but people like them for their attributes. I will not deny that. I have watched as the old venerable cartridges have been forgotten for new and pretty/sexy boutique cartridges. Have these new sexy cartridges peaked, specifically the 6.5 CM, and will be set aside for either new sexy ones or for older; more tried and true powerhouses, I can not say. I can speculate that the 264 Win, the 6.5-06, and the best of the European 6.5's will make a comeback. Really only God knows but I pray it will be true. I have one for you, has anyone heard of a 6MM Sako Magnum? I have an example of one in my shop. it is super sexy and would toss a 0.243"/6MM pill pretty fast. I would speculate nearly as fast if not faster than the 243 Weatherby. But again it has been left to the annals of history and dust. I do believe the 6.5 Creedmoore and the 6.5 PRC have peaked and will die off. like every cartridge, there will be diehard advocates of the creed/PRC but I think that there will be another super sexy 6.5 to take it's place. I know a diehard 6.5 fan specifically the 6.5X55 Belgium and the 6.5 Grendel. I personally will be looking back at the older venerable cartridges for inspiration to make a totally unique wildcat in 6.8MM/0.277" bore. I like the look and capacity of the 264 win/7MM Rem case for a heavy slug flinging 270 wildcat. If I ever get the chance to make one, I will. I think it would make a great competitor to the 7MM Rem. Maybe then we will get more development on the 0.277" diameter slugs and get some truly great slugs for the 270 Win, Weatherby, WSM, and the Ackley Improved cartridges in 0.277" diameter.

I am glad the 6.5PRC has hit the streets and I hope it does good. I don't plan on buying a rifle or barrel for it at this time but you never know, I could be smitten tomorrow! It does exactly what the 6.5-284Norma has been doing for 20 years, ballistics wise. Only time will tell if it does as good at the 600/1000yd competitions as the Norma has.
I have been shooting the 6.5-284 for quiet a few years now. It is a great deer cartridge and awesome target round. I shoot it all spring/summer for target and load it up for deer in the fall/winter. I wish everyone could experience what this round will do. It is fast, flat shooting and crazy accurate with tolerable recoil. A confidence builder for sure.
I shoot it along side my .300WinMag and not considering the power factor or kinetic energy, it goes toe to toe with it. Yeah the .300 is tossing a 212 or 215gn bullet but also burning 20 grains more powder on average and without a muzzle break can be a bear but at 1k my come ups for both rounds are neck -n- neck.
If the 6.5PRC and CreedMore, for that matter, can get more people (women & children included) interested in the shooting sports and hunting then that's a win-win for us and our God given & 2nd Amendment rights. Not trying to get political but I'd rather have my kids by my side in a hunting stand than constantly playing video games, surfing the internet or wandering the streets. That is quality time with loved ones.
I don't own any new rifles or any full custom rifles. I screw on my own barrels and I don't shoot factory ammo in anything except my .22 and shotguns. I enjoy reloading and shooting my reloads. That's me.
I don't be-grudge anyone a new rifle. I would personally love to "play" with a few of Christensen Arm's models, the Browning X-bolt Max LR and Hells Canyons, Ruger's Hawkeye LR, any of Savage's Target series, any Remington Sendero or 5R or anything that deals with shooting LR or ELR. I love to shoot rifles of any "flavor". I would like to reload for every cartridge before I die but I realize I won't. Good on Hornady and all these companies for making products we can buy and enjoy the outdoors with. Life's too short to hate, be jealous or envious of others. I'm always saying to myself, "So many bullets, so little time!"

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.