Has the 30-06 died along with the .308 ???

06 185 gr vld .576 bc 2750 @3500' 200 zero 10 mph 90 deg wind
800 yds 1762 fps 1275 ft/lb 155" drop 38.6 drift

6.5 cm 140 eld .646 2750 3500' 200 yd zero same wind
800 yds 1856. 1071 148" drop 33.6 drift

Not too bad for an old girl.

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said but will toss my .02 in. I had a bad experience with a 06 years ago as a young man and terminal performance on a whitetail. I contribute it mostly to bullet being used. Never touched the gun after that but I was already a 308 supporter at that point. All that said I'm planning on building an 06 to keep in the stable because of how versatile it is and because I don't currently have one.
Go for it OP you won't regret it.

This is exactly what is killing many of the older cartridges and why 30-06 is still lingering.

Think about this:
  • If all the 7mm and .270 rifles made in the last 40 years came standard with a 1:8 twist barrel then how many of the "new" cartridges would exist ( looking at you 6.5mm )
  • If all the .243 and .25 rifles made in the last 40 years came standard with a 1:7.25 twist barrel then how many of the "new" cartridges would exist.
  • Now look at .308 and 30-06 which are typically sold with a 1:10 twist barrel which is all that is needed to stabilize bullets that they can efficiently be loaded for? Nobody is looking to replace their 30-06/308 with a new cartridge of like capacity because 95% of people are just looking at Recoil/Performance/Cost/Availability for selecting what cartridge their rifle will be chambered for. Only a select few people would replace an '06 for cartridge of like performance due to wanting a short action, brass longevity, mag capacity........

CAWS

My kids and I drew tags in Nevada this year year. My son is planning on taking his great great grandfather's Marlin 30-30 that he bought after the war to end all wars. I am planing on shooting my fathers Springfield 03A3 that my grandfather made a custom stock for. Beautiful if I say so. My daughter is taking the Remington 600 Mohawk in 243.
Some might consider them obsolete but not me by a long shot. You won't go wrong.

My kids and I drew tags in Nevada this year year. My son is planning on taking his great great grandfather's Marlin 30-30 that he bought after the war to end all wars. I am planing on shooting my fathers Springfield 03A3 that my grandfather made a custom stock for. Beautiful if I say so. My daughter is taking the Remington 600 Mohawk in 243.
Some might consider them obsolete but not me by a long shot. You won't go wrong.
Love those old Mohawks!

It's not dead, just a bit obsolete.

7.62*51/308 is essentially the same technology, slightly better powders allowed a small shrink.

6.5 Creedmoor is just using a higher B.C. bullet and the only reason why the .30s can't do that is that scaling makes the bullets bigger and then you run out of powder capacity. It's the same tech, just better packaging for long range.

Newer technology like Sig Fury and other 80,000+ cup cartridges might really make it look inefficient but it's not useless and 30-06 isn't going to die until manufacturers quit making new rifles and ammo. I don't see that happening any time soon.

First off let me preface these comments by saying I own a 6.5 creedmoor and its a nice shooting round. But lets face it this is the perfect round for todays generation. It's popularity is based on half truth and lies like it has the same ballistics as a 300 mag. It doesnt kick much so you dont have to be a man to shoot it. It's really the ideal round for guys who like to shoot small groups and go run post pictures on the internet but never go out and actually kill stuff. Come to think of it this post has kind of inspired me. I have an old savage 110 30/06 that has killed more deer than blue tongue but has been sitting in the safe collecting dust. She was never really a great shooter but got the job done. I think I'm going to give her a makeover and see what she can really do. Hell I might even take out my first deer rifle a marlin 30/30. Lord knows those things are obsolete.

I don't agree when people say 6.5mm isn't a good killer. 6.5 Swede killed plenty with similar ballistics, even African Elephants. People are hunting with 6.5 Creedmoor with good results too, as far as .308 or farther.

30-06 can be loaded pretty hot to exceed .308 performance, I'm not sure if it can beat 6.5 Creedmoor without hand loading and a lot more recoil.

Its personal preference and what type of shots you're going to get when hunting. If you are hunting deer and your shots are usually 400 yards, 6.5 Creedmoor is a good choice, probably better than .308. If it's under 200 yards, they are fairly equal. If you change to large game or varmints, the ideal bullet is going to be different.

I retired my 06 15-16 years ago. My first large caliber rifle, a Ruger M77. Was always an accurate gun. Keep thinking about selling it, but never do...

I wish my 06 could still take down even just a measly deer. Even a raccoon shrugs off it's anemic ballistics. Someone needs to tell the marketers how worthless it is so they stop teasing me with the one '06 on the shelf for every fifteen 6.5cms.

I tried to find some shiny '06s to fondle at the store again today to relieve some stress, but no luck. Just a bunch of braked 6.5 cm and 6.5 prc

I wish my 06 could still take down even just a measly deer. Even a raccoon shrugs off it's anemic ballistics. Someone needs to tell the marketers how worthless it is so they stop teasing me with the one '06 on the shelf for every fifteen 6.5cms.

I tried to find some shiny '06s to fondle at the store again today to relieve some stress, but no luck. Just a bunch of braked 6.5 cm and 6.5 prc
Have you tried putting your '06 in a tatical stock? That might help it with the coons, but I don't think it will take down a deer without a $1000 nightforce scope on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.