Has the 30-06 died along with the .308 ???

This load is averaging 2886 out of a 22" barrel. CCI 250 and Lapua brass.

The 06 tends to like 180 gr bullets. I'm in the process of feeding my 20 yr old Steyr 150 gr bullets. I got it to 0.77 moa but am trying to get it tighter cuz its just FUN
158F9FFC-C656-4D43-9428-9AD7A5DCA5D6.jpeg

Today I have a couple of 308 AR-10's with 24 inch SS fluted barrels for varminting. Speer 125 gr TNT HP You can red mist critters way out there:)

Have some of the latest whizbang calibers but .308 and 30-06 are still in my arsenal and not just the M1 and M1A. Either will get the job done even with the service rifles but for heavy bullets and slow powders the gas guns are not a good choice unless gas system turned off so I have some bolt and lever actions as well. Just acquired a CZ 550 FS in 30-06. It may become my favorite rifle will have to see how well these old eyes work with the irons on it

It is dead. Look at it compared to the beautiful cartridges just standing there on the end looking like a big ugly decrepit dummy. Kind of makes me want to puke and the WSM isn't much better with its stupid pushed in short fat bullet squatting like it is taking a dump next the that sexy stout 6.5 PRC with its long naked bullet extended like it is just waiting to jump out of the brass and pounce on 900 lb bull elk and tear it apart.

Yeah, take a hike 30-06 you are dead to me with your fugly lead tips peeking out from your big ugly mouth and girly shoulders.

picture-of-6.5-prc-vs-6.5-creedmoor-vs-300-wsm-vs-30-06.jpg

Hmmm Well got several 30-06 semi auto, bolt and lever, a couple .308s and the obligatory whizbang 6.5s from grendel to prc. Shot high power matches with M-1 and M1A 1000 yard and Palma with a REM 40XBR .308 with a handstop added to the stock. Put a few Xs down range at 1000 using Varget and 155 palmas. My latest acquisition is another 06 a CZ 550 FS. Will my 7MM or .338 win mag hit harder at longer ranges certainly and the 6.5 prc may well also. All things considered really does not make much of a difference as I do not trust my wind calling ability or the animal continuing to be stationary for the time of flight to shoot at the ranges where any of the cartridges with superior long range ballistics gain me any real advantage.

It is dead. Look at it compared to the beautiful cartridges just standing there on the end looking like a big ugly decrepit dummy. Kind of makes me want to puke and the WSM isn't much better with its stupid pushed in short fat bullet squatting like it is taking a dump next the that sexy stout 6.5 PRC with its long naked bullet extended like it is just waiting to jump out of the brass and pounce on 900 lb bull elk and tear it apart.

Yeah, take a hike 30-06 you are dead to me with your fugly lead tips peeking out from your big ugly mouth and girly shoulders.

View attachment 206361

06 isn't even dieing let alone dead. If you are talking about looks, stand a 264 Win Mag in there. It will make a 6.5 PRC look like a "wanna be". One of the sexiest looking rounds out there. Sure it takes a long action but if you can't carry an extra inch in your hand, you can't carry it elsewhere either.

One thing that is incredibly annoying is that some gunmakers just refuse to chamber an 06.

I'd like to try out a Fierce, but they only chamber for cool cartridges.

This load is averaging 2886 out of a 22" barrel. CCI 250 and Lapua brass.
I've never understood why so many shooters talk down when it comes to savage rifles when it has been my experience that shots like that are very common. I too own a 110 model C. She is an older rifle before the accutrigger. Shooting milk jugs at 500 yards was boring but than, that was the furthest I could shoot. Try your loads using 165 grainers , you may see your group shrink even more. Fantastic shooting btw.

06 isn't even dieing let alone dead. If you are talking about looks, stand a 264 Win Mag in there. It will make a 6.5 PRC look like a "wanna be". One of the sexiest looking rounds out there. Sure it takes a long action but if you can't carry an extra inch in your hand, you can't carry it elsewhere either.

'06 went on life support soon after the 7mm RM was released.

Hornady took it off life support with the CM and PRC.

Sure it is still lingering, but lingering isn't living. I have an '06 and everyone has an '06 because they are everywhere and ammo is everywhere. It is going legacy the same as incandescent light bulbs did. 6.5 CM ammo and rifles are everywhere now.....

I honestly think Hornady will be forced to fill the 7mm void with a 7.0 PRC which will overshadow the 6.5 CM boom in terms of popularity to become the next iconic American Cartridge (see 270 win or 7mm RM type popularity). They just can't ignore it because all that money is sitting there staring them in the face and has been since the 6.5 CM took off.

.30 cal is so 21st Century. Light Long Range Rifles are king and 7.62mm takes too much powder to be efficient.

Faster twist barrels are bring a resurgence of old calibers every day. Think what you want.

This is exactly what is killing many of the older cartridges and why 30-06 is still lingering.

Think about this:
  • If all the 7mm and .270 rifles made in the last 40 years came standard with a 1:8 twist barrel then how many of the "new" cartridges would exist ( looking at you 6.5mm )
  • If all the .243 and .25 rifles made in the last 40 years came standard with a 1:7.25 twist barrel then how many of the "new" cartridges would exist.
  • Now look at .308 and 30-06 which are typically sold with a 1:10 twist barrel which is all that is needed to stabilize bullets that they can efficiently be loaded for? Nobody is looking to replace their 30-06/308 with a new cartridge of like capacity because 95% of people are just looking at Recoil/Performance/Cost/Availability for selecting what cartridge their rifle will be chambered for. Only a select few people would replace an '06 for cartridge of like performance due to wanting a short action, brass longevity, mag capacity........

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.