Has the 30-06 died along with the .308 ???

I knew an old guy that hung out at the gun store he was a funny bastard. said one time...If you dont have a 30-06 you must be a communist :)
in a 06 with a 26" barrel you can spark a 212 gr hornady ELD-X bullet with a BC of .663 over 2700 fps. there is no hunting situation that could not be resolved with that combo. also you can get excellent results target shooting.
WW2 the big one proved how good the 3006 is. the army did a good job I do not think us civilians are going to change the worth of the 06.

I knew an old guy that hung out at the gun store he was a funny bastard. said one time...If you dont have a 30-06 you must be a communist :)
in a 06 with a 26" barrel you can spark a 212 gr hornady ELD-X bullet with a BC of .663 over 2700 fps. there is no hunting situation that could not be resolved with that combo. also you can get excellent results target shooting.
Well almost but my uncle had a 8x57 Mauser for his deer gun. I begged him to let me shoot it when I was about 10. All I remember is that the sky was bright blue. Been hooked ever since. I now have a 300 Weatherby. Big guns are a lot of fun

This load is averaging 2886 out of a 22" barrel. CCI 250 and Lapua brass.

That load is smoking! How do you like the super performance powder? I've thought about trying it out after hearing quite a few good reports about it and 180 grain bullets in the 06. I am wondering if it's actually the same exact powder as stable 6.5. rebranding the same recipe is a pretty slick marketing move for something that's not super popular

That load is smoking! How do you like the super performance powder? I've thought about trying it out after hearing quite a few good reports about it and 180 grain bullets in the 06. I am wondering if it's actually the same exact powder as stable 6.5. rebranding the same recipe is a pretty slick marketing move for something that's not super popular
I've been using it for several years and really like it. I used supreme 780 with 180's in previous 30-06's until it disappeared and that's why I tried superformance. I use it in my son's 6.5 creedmoor with 123gr bullets for a very accurate load but apparently you can use any powder/bullet in that round and they will shoot .25" groups, lol!

Maybe it's not. I see some people have mentioned super-performance is very temperature sensitive

I've been using it for several years and really like it. I used supreme 780 with 180's in previous 30-06's until it disappeared and that's why I tried superformance. I use it in my son's 6.5 creedmoor with 123gr bullets for a very accurate load but apparently you can use any powder/bullet in that round and they will shoot .25" groups, lol!

Have you noticed much temperature sensitivity in the 06 with it?

Have you noticed much temperature sensitivity in the 06 with it?
This morning I let a round sit in a hot chamber for a few minutes while waiting for the barrel to cool a little. The velocity on that round spiked to 2922 so I would say yes based on that. Other than that, I don't shoot over a chrono a lot and don't shoot in extreme temperatures, maybe a 40 degree swing and haven't noticed a change in POI.

I know there are trillions already out there. Most of us oldies have owned and hunted, even defended our Flag with them,

As most of you know, I'm shopping HARD for a beautifully stocked rifle. I found a brand new one but in 30-06. definitely NOT my first choice but its hard to rag on the good Ole 06.

Comfort me with my choice, any new loadings re; powder/bullet combo's.
What are asking here? You found a dream rifle...but it's only made in ONE CALIBER AND ITS BRAND NEW? ... Call the manufacturer is my advice...for what's worth

OMG - the memories. One of my KUHS classmates - may he RIP- had a record Blacktail - as he lived over the hill in the Rogue Valley - and would go out in search of a trophy. His son actually scared it up and it ran in front on him - and boom. Don't recall what he was shooting but agree - a well placed .243 will do the job - on bigger critters as well. As with your Blacktail-Mulie mix - the Roosevelt Elk and Rocky Mountain can get intertwined - and a guy shot an 1,100 pound elk - about 20 miles outside of Klamath Falla - that scored 406. Mammoth specimen - hanging out all over out in the back of his pickup truck. :)

And I didn't realize our Sporterized Springfield - in addition to having a beautiful blond stock with a Monte Carlo cheekpiece - had a Timney trigger and Match barrel. Would shoot ragged holes if I was on !!!

I know there are trillions already out there. Most of us oldies have owned and hunted, even defended our Flag with them,

As most of you know, I'm shopping HARD for a beautifully stocked rifle. I found a brand new one but in 30-06. definitely NOT my first choice but its hard to rag on the good Ole 06.

Comfort me with my choice, any new loadings re; powder/bullet combo's.
Just buy the beautiful 30-06 before someone else does.

I spend years in the military with 308's. The service rifle was the M-14 with select fire. Semi and full auto. then the m-60 machine gun which is also 308. Both of those are great weapons. Our side arm was the 1911. regular military had the M-16 . I never even shot one until the military decided to retire the m-14 in the late 70's. i thought: What a phoney weapon!

I spend years in the military with 308's. The service rifle was the M-14 with select fire. Semi and full auto. then the m-60 machine gun which is also 308. Both of those are great weapons. Our side arm was the 1911. regular military had the M-16 . I never even shot one until the military decided to retire the m-14 in the late 70's. i thought: What a phoney weapon!

What bullet weight was typically uses in your m14 and m60?

I think that the 30-06 is about the biggest cartridge the "average" shooter can handle in an off-the-shelf rifle of standard weight, and it will handily knock down anything he's likely to shoot with it on this continent. The long history as a military round ( just like the 308 ) is another thing it has going for it, and the availability of military surplus ammo used to be a big selling point. The guy who only shoots two boxes of cartridges per year can afford to feed it and still have enough cash for a case of beer to take to camp that weekend. There's a ton of casual shooters/hunters out there, and it works well - even with ordinary bullets.

I grew up in the era of the one-rifle hunter, and darn near everybody was shooting 30-caliber in those days. The story was that if you ever go west to hunt elk, or north for moose, the '06 is big enough - and it will certainly kill our skinny little whitetails handily enough. I think that everybody understood that it was way more horsepower than needed for deer, but there was always that "all-around rifle" concept being discussed around the hunting camp card table. I don't know anybody who didn't dream of hunting bigger animals in some far-away place some day, and this is what I think fueled the popularity of these cartridges. Having Grampa's 30-06 handed down to Junior didn't hurt its popularity any, either.

I guess you were born within a few years of 1963...🤔

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts