Has the 30-06 died along with the .308 ???

No they aren't ! I have 2 30-06 and 1 308 . I don't hunt with them much anymore but if the truth be told either is all 90% of us need . You guys in big bear country need to tote a little more gun . But a 30-06 in capable hands is deadly . Ps don't tell my wife cause my safe has about 30 more guns in there and adding all the time

For 06 cartridge, take a look at the ballistics of the Nosler Trophy 168gr LRAB ammo...the ballistics hang with many of the new fad cartridges.

Just ordered some 125 accubonds. Should be interesting. My deer hunting area only goes to 300 in one area. 200 and in most other places. Maybe just maybe ill draw an antelope tag. Ill find out tomorrow. 30-06 isn't dead. I even have Varget and RE15 on hand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200619-234650_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200619-234650_Gallery.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 80
I know there are trillions already out there. Most of us oldies have owned and hunted, even defended our Flag with them,

As most of you know, I'm shopping HARD for a beautifully stocked rifle. I found a brand new one but in 30-06. definitely NOT my first choice but its hard to rag on the good Ole 06.

Comfort me with my choice, any new loadings re; powder/bullet combo's.
Well sir, as I see it, you have two choices of which I am jealous! If your primary desire is a beautifully stocked rifle you Well guess you it found and You can re-chamber later if not happy. Or find beautiful blank and wrap it around a barrel chambered in the caliber of your liking! 3o caliber bullets come in wide variety of shapes and sizes!

If you could only own one rifle how could you beat the 30-06? I worked for 10 years in central and Southern Africa and got to hunt with the locals. I found The 30-06, used as much as the .300 win mag and .375 and even used on a buffalo (I know, bad idea & not legal). The buffalo was backed up with a 416 Rigby but went down with a "broken heart" from a well placed shot.

Enjoy and have fun with it!

A friend went Africa a few years back. Used the guide gun. It was a 30-06. Took his Zebra and everything else smaller that he could afford. Even South African guides like them.

buy what you want but for all around cartridge its had to beat the -06, fads come and go, but darn near every rifle is still made in either the 308 or 30-06--if they had died and didn't sell, then gun manu's wouldn't be making them --they only make what sells
I would suggest that you attend a few sanctioned shooting matches in your area, and talk with active shooters!
Try to find competitions which will feature long range shooting.
After you visit a few sanctioned matches I will bet that you come away with a new found respect for the following rifle cartridges.
1) The 6.5 Creedmoor Cartridge my personal time line: 05/15/2016 - Present
2) The .308 Caliber Winchester Cartridge ( an old friend) my personal time line: 03/09/1968 - Present

Yes there are other cartridges like the 7mm Remington Magnum, or the .300 Winchester Magnum , and other Wildcat Calibers ,as many will agree, however from what I know, don't sell either the 6.5 Creedmoor , or the .308 caliber short ! (not to forget the venerable .270 caliber as well )
I love both of these calibers and use them accordingly !
IMHO the .308 Winchester is still very healthy and well and has served our wonderful nation with distinction for decades, and to this day still is ! ( just check on line to see how many manufacturers and rifles configured for this caliber are being produced )
What more can be said about the flat shooting , hard hitting 65 Creedmoor Caliber except KUDOS to Horandy & Company !
I do like the 30 - 06 caliber as well and it has severed me admirably for years in a hunting capacity .

Do I like and use the .308 caliber ? Absolutely !
Side Note: literally saved my life more than once.

Do I like and use the 6.5 caliber ? You Betcha!
Dead calibers?
Not in my lifetime!!!

Last edited:
Like many others have said... No, they aren't dead. Probably never will be in our lifetime. The .308 and '06 occupy the center of the cartridge universe. They are the benchmarks by which other cartridges are judged.

For me, the .308 is the do everything, Swiss army knife of rifle cartridges. Why would a rifleman be without one in his arsenal?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.