Has the 30-06 died along with the .308 ???

Selected handloads really open up the optics behind the classic 06, Berger 190 grain and RL-26 @ 2850 fps vs the 6.5 CM with a Berger 140 trajectories are slightly better with the 06 out to 800 yards (about one inch) and velocities are very close out to this range. The energy of the 06 is 400 pounds higher @ 700 yards....something to consider. Recoil always comes into play but considering suppressors and muzzle brakes it s a mute point. Properly loaded the 06 is superior ballistically. Yes its highly subjective but to suggest the round is dead? Load it up right. The above load was worked up in a Remington 700 and a Winchester XPR both with 24" barrels.
May I ask how much RL-26 regarding the Berger 190 bullet (30-06), primer type? Thanks! As we all know I will back off and work up to my 06 rifle!

I hunt CO Elk and Deer with .308. I own 7mm Mag and .300Win Mag, but the Ruger Scout rifle is (to me) a gorgeous rifle and a joy to carry, and shoots well. GMX 180's out to 400 yds.

May I ask how much RL-26 regarding the Berger 190 bullet (30-06), primer type? Thanks! As we all know I will back off and work up to my 06 rifle!
I don't know if the 190 Bergers will do better, but I spent a good amount of time and effort trying to get my 1970's era Ruger M77 30.06, with a 1:10 twist to behave with Nosler AccuBond Long Range 190 grain bullets. I think that bullet just couldn't stabilize with that twist. It shoots 180 grain Standard AccuBond bullets fine.

B that is a no brainer shoot 180 accubonds they and a super hunting bullet or shoot H frame nosler in the 200 grain buletl it is even better for anything that walks on the N A .soil. all of us have a problem, too many guns too many choices. I have given away 7 rifles to my grand nephews and I need to give more.. I am a 280 rem guy, but in heavy wood the 30/06 is better and I do have one.

I love the 06, I have 2 custom built and one 06AI in the works with a 26" Bartlein CFW tube on a Definace Deviant. One may get a new barrel in 280AI, but the 06 is so versatile 90-230+ grain bullets, easy to find ammo, easy to handload near 300WM velocities. What's not to love?
With new 30 cal bullet offerings it does great at long range. Pic is of my go to 30-06. Blueprinted Rem 700, 26" Bartlein Sendero 1:11.25TR, McMillan Game Warden, PTG DBM, TBAC brake, Timney trigger, Seekins hardware, and now wears a NF NX8 scope. It's a hammer .5 MOA gun and have taken it out to 1000 yds.
You've got great taste & deep pockets. Good on ya. Very nice build.

I know there are trillions already out there. Most of us oldies have owned and hunted, even defended our Flag with them,

As most of you know, I'm shopping HARD for a beautifully stocked rifle. I found a brand new one but in 30-06. definitely NOT my first choice but its hard to rag on the good Ole 06.

Comfort me with my choice, any new loadings re; powder/bullet combo's.
Took my first Antelope @ 500yds with a 30-06 150gr bullet nearly 30yrs ago and my son still takes game with it annually

I know there are trillions already out there. Most of us oldies have owned and hunted, even defended our Flag with them,

As most of you know, I'm shopping HARD for a beautifully stocked rifle. I found a brand new one but in 30-06. definitely NOT my first choice but its hard to rag on the good Ole 06.

Comfort me with my choice, any new loadings re; powder/bullet combo's.
There is nothing wrong with a 30-06 or a 308. They will both do plenty compared to the ever popular creedmoor. I had to show someone , on the range, that the good ole 308 will still do anything that particular 6.5 will do. Especially with the right ammo and a 24" barrel.
I still don't understand the craze about it. I will always shoot 308. The30-06 will kill anything in North America if you're a hunter.
opinions vary, got it. The 30-06 is still a great round. I would not have any reservations about buying one.

Still have 1 of each!! Used to be everyone had a 308 or an 06. I like all the hype on the next best cartridge because it's making the 308 and 06 more of the odd ball when comparing to everyone and their new round of choice!

G for mississippi whitetails alliant powder company says 57,2 of their reloader 16 with regular 210 or such primer and a serria game king 165 bulet will do 2947 fps developing 3182 fp of energy. I have use this on whitetail did not have to trail a one. it sure worked in Choctaw -Oktibbeha and Montgomery counties.. the speer spbt will do the same . my favorite for whitetails . and the accubond all will do the job..actually the GK and ;the accubond would also drop a 850 # elk.

The '06 will be with us for many years to come and so will it's children, the. 270 and 25-06. Currently the 6.5 calibers are the rage because of bullet development that created inherent accuracy. To stay competitive I think bullet manufacturers will have to carry redesigned bullets for these popular calibers eventually. This will improve accuracy and new demand for the old standbys as well.
Don't forget the 35 Whelan! If It can't be pacified with something on the '06 case (or for that matter, just the old '06) i don't want it in the boat with me. The rest are just passing fads, but the '06 will go on forever.

I own an 06 and love it for close quarters stalking. I even took it to NZ and shot Tahr with it at medium range 500m. It's def a capabale shooter and with modern powders it still has some relevance but..... the new "hipster" cartridges aren't all hype as some may suggest. If you wanted an all out long range rifle, there are much better cartridges out there that will push longer, Heavier more co efficient projectiles out further and faster... that's the truth. Even an old win mag would be a better choice for LR Shooting and hunting. Stalking and close range **** the 06 is more then fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.