Has primer production resumed yet?

Don't think they quit making them. Just everyone is buying up as fast as they are being put on shelves . Lucky for me I've hoarded several thousand of what I need over the last 20 years . Last time I bought primers was in 2011 and cabelas had them on sale 20$ a thousand needless to say I was the p?!', that bought all they had.

As @wv270wsw mentioned they don't last when they become available anywhere just like the newer powders. You just have to keep looking and hoard up when you find them.

Last time I saw some I bought 5000 of them between Federal GM210M, GM215M, GM205M, WLR and CCI. I recommend you do the same. I still have primera that are 9 years old and work perfectly, I store them in a cool dry place with silica packs.

its not a new thing-- it happened twice during the obummer era--its called panic buying/stockpiling/hording/buying in bulk/prepping , this time it started back in march/April when the cv-19 "pandemic" first hit --it got a bit better in may/early June-- then the blm riots hit and it got nasty again.

you are gonna have to go online and put in for a back order, at this point in time I heard it could be August before back orders are filled but of course that depends on a lot of different things

If you reload, you have to learn from the past and make sure you have enough on hand to get through these tough times--- or just slow down your shooting/reloading until you get what you need

This is happening with primers, powders, common size/weight bullets (especially for 223 and hand gun calibers) and factory ammo too--- at least the TP is back in stock though ;)

what you will see really soon if it hasn't started already is the 'scalping" prices on all of this stuff just like during the obummer scare --- you will see local and online prices skyrocket up to 4x the normal cost--its you choice on weather you pay theses prices or not, its called free enterprise (supply/demand)

As @wv270wsw mentioned they don't last when they become available anywhere just like the newer powders. You just have to keep looking and hoard up when you find them.

Last time I saw some I bought 5000 of them between Federal GM210M, GM215M, GM205M, WLR and CCI. I recommend you do the same. I still have primera that are 9 years old and work perfectly, I store them in a cool dry place with silica packs.
I keep 1000 in my drawer my loading room of course dry temperature controlled etc. any I plan on storing for extended periods get vacuum sealed

I lived through every demand surge since the mid 90s. My safety stock is 10k of each type primer. Precision rifle gets a lot of components dedicated to each barrel. Ie when I got my 6cm I bought 2000 dtacs, pulled 2000 wlr-m from safety stock, and bought 2 kegs of ramshot hunter that are allocated for that barrel. This should be enough to shoot out the barrel.

I try to keep 10k practice rounds on hand in my high volume calibers like 9, 38 and 556.

Note, my stocking up is done during times of plenty. My last order delivered was in early Jan. I saw this coming back in the fall. I skipped my yearly order of high volume 9mm components usually placed in April. I have enough to get through the year and I'll leave whats available for others.

^What he said^. My first primer shortage was in the 80's. Stopped at my local shop to buy a thousand pistol primers and they laughed at me. I couldn't shoot for months. Said never again and stockpile at least a basic minimum at all times. Seems like there is a primer shortage at least every ten years. Among other shortages. Learned the same lesson with rimfire ammo, powder, ar lowers, and lower parts kits.

I can still find primers in rural stores around here that never sold a lot to begin with, but even they are running low now. I bought 7 bricks of 22 lr this month as well as 5 pounds of powder and 12,000 primers . Hate to be one of those guys but if that is how the game is played I will play it to keep from running out. Don't want to stop / lower my shooting habit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts