Has our board been taken over by a flurry or newbie morons?

I must say, I took a few months off this board simply due to lack of time and came back to a very different place.
shocked.gif

Not that big a deal, the new people just need to look at the URL and realize that what's fine and ducky at 250 yds isn't what this board was created to talk about.

FNG's go with the territory, they'll either learn or leave. Sometimes a solid kick in the head will clear their field of view and so the gospel will spread. Learn to live with it.

I watched a not too different and repeated saga at 'yoteGods.com wherein the site owner suffered great angst regarding the lack of courtesy from new members. He had several forums devoted to FNG's, one explanatory, another a bit sarcastic and condescending. If you wish to turn this site into a private club for simpering sychophants then follow in John Henry's foot steps. There are many versions of the truth, and you never quite know when yours may be changed by an unexpected bump. I've heard it said that one does not truly understand something until they can teach the subject, and I have to agree. Education is the essence of web sites. It doesn't have to be liberal or gentle...

Appreciate the supportive comments. The whole point of this and any discussion site is to be able to share ideas. Whether one agrees or not is really not the point. The site should provide information that is representitive to the interests or subject matter. Mine is better then yours just goes no where.

So let's set up a permanent post to explain the focus and viewpoint of this board. AND provide the FAQ section so that newbies can get the answers easily. The same questions are asked continually so this will stop any repeated answers and makes for great reference anyways.

That way the topic sections can be used for discussion, not necessarily "teaching" (that probably didn't come out right).

The more accessible the info, the more open and accurate, the more we can dispell many of the myths and concerns and get more shooting Long Range responsibly.

I hope to have similar info available if and when my website is finished. Taking a lot longer then I had thought.

Len and Dave, back to you...

Jerry

My wife is convinced that I am a practicing moron and compared to many guys here I consider myself a relative newbie - so be it. i enjoy sharing knowledge and ideas and get a lot from you guys. Bottom line is that the reason this site works is because the guys who post do so with civility to each other. You guys have just given Len some great feedback and I am confident that we will continue to see the site improve.

For the new guys - a while back I was granted permission to edit out crap (only Dave and Len, the real computer guys had it before). This is like giving a Saturday Night Special to a half-wit who suffers from severe muscle spasms in his hands. Unfortunately I do not always hit the correct buttons, but I can and will use this awsome editorial power.

I have one rule that I work with - if I see something obnoxious I will nuke the post. Might not even discuss it with Len or Dave. I was granted this awsome power and have only used it once or twice (once was a miss-fire and I nuked a good-guy but he understood
grin.gif
).

Let's talk long range guys, did I mention that I recently shot a very small prairie dog (still had mother's-milk on his lips...) at 660 yards and won a rifle?

I used to post over at CoyoteGods until i got flamed of by JohnHenry saying that my blue heeler did not run down and kill a coyote. Well he did, and that sight sucks now. They have a dozen regulars that occasionally post. Newbies do come with the territory but we have to be careful in how we handle them. I don't want to see this site end up like CoyoteGods. Keep an open mind and welcome new ideas.....while tactifully reminding 'em that this is LONGRANGE hunting.

Ian....which one was you aiming at? Momma or the pup?
wink.gif

BEING A NEW MEMBER MYSELF I HOPE I WILL NOT FALL IN TO THE MORON CATEGORY.IF YOU SEE ANY OF MY QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS PLEASE GO EASY ON ME.I AM NEW TO LONG RANGE HUNTING AND ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECIEVED.PS. I AM ENGLISH BUT DONT HOLD THAT AGAINST ME.
smile.gif

BRIT and all

I don't believe this thread was initialy started about ALL newbies but rather the ones that forget why this site exists and what's it's all about. An initial (1st) post the something it TOO FAR is not a really good start, that's how I take the "moron" comment.

Jerry,
You got me there
grin.gif

Nothing like shrapnel-spray to wreck a rascally varmint's day!
Been a crazy summer so far, the steel is relatively unblasted because of too much travel. Got to fix that shortly - sure too bad you live so far away!

Hi All

I guess I'm considered a moron FNG. Mostly I'm a mid range and long range service rifle shooter. I'm decent at what I do. I enjoy bowhunting mostly but I'm also getting older and have started going back to the rifle to accomplish some of the things that I might never get done with a bow. Lots of times I'll bowhunt till the last minute and then borrow a rifle if needed. I'm giving a bit of background because I'm brave enough to print a few thoughts. Mostly this comes from all of our competitive high power forums.

First, bragging gets you no where with anyone. Those of us that have done it, have done it. Make the statement and then leave it alone. You are respected by those of your peers. And don't fall into the baiting scheme.

Second, don't get into brawls over subjective stuff like BCs, MVs etc.... On any given day we can come up with any number of figures of either. They may all be right or wrong. And since 100 fps or a few points BC won't make much if any difference in the outcome, its not needed to fight to death over that.

Third, those that say you can't shoot that far, we simply need to explain the intent. I can't shoot as far as most of you can. I can stretch mine to about 1K on good days. But most of you can torch that. The parameters that no one can complain about are much like self imposed limits that the best bowhunters use. If you can stick 5 of 5 into the kill zone size target at XYZ yards, then thats your max distance.

Lastly, forgive me, because I do not like Ballistic tip bullets, though they are getting better by the day. I dont' like the use of hollow points on game since ballistic hollow points are found unexpanded in our target impacts everytime I go to the range. I think that and being pro X type bullets are about my only faults
grin.gif

Great sight! Lots of great info. Glad I found it somehow last year. Now back to working on my blackpower long range stuff.

Keep after the sight, patrol it, dont' allow the ****ing contests between anyone(old or new- best person here or plain FNG) and you'll come to the top. The rest of the sites will kill themselves.

Jeff

FAQ, or an archive is a good idea.

I have a board using version 6.3.0. for about a year and a half, now; which was an upgrade from a previous format. Some guys never made it to the newer version, for various reasons; such as, they had to reregister, etc.

But, if this version of UBB is very much like mine, and it looks very similiar, then an archive is not possible?

Whatever changes are required, you should understand that a good number of the members will not like it. People get familiar with a format and the navigation, and don't want it to change, even for good reasons.

But, the original question.

If you had total agreement, there would be virtually no activity. Newbies contribute by smoking out the guys that know everything, otherwise the old timers wouldn't have a lot to say. And, that is what the attraction is all about, stimulation; an exchange of ideas. If the dialogue gets so coded that only a precious few know what they are talking about, well; if you ask me, it gets a little boring sometimes.

So, rather than berating the troll, (as you call them) assume he has an honest opinion and bury him with respect.... and data.

Asking him to leave because he is unworthy is counterproductive, in my opinion.

Okay, so I'm new here, but do not assume I'm a newbie, and as you might expect, I have opinions and I'm willing to share them with intelligent people.

Good hunting. LB

LB

We'll be going to the "Threads" version of Infopop's software. I don't know if it allows an archive but we'll figure out something regardless.

Welcome

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.